Friday, August 11, 2006

stitching done and blog reading too!



I did great tonight- a late start but finished one charity quilt that needed binding and labeling-I am including a close up- look at the purple strip to the right of the sailor strip- she pieced it from 3 pieces! This was a donated top from a real scrap quilter-unknown to us-these tops were part of a huge box of donations - I carefully frog stitched off sections to pare them down to the size we aim for-40-ish by 60-ish. I have another one quilted waiting to be bound and labeled- maybe tomorrow if I find time. Finn, doesn't this remind you of those blocks you sent to Evelyn? By the way, she finally showed up and I had to tell her three times they were sent specially for her...she had great fun digging through the stash fabrics for setting squares to go with them! I will get the top back and quilt once she finds time to put them together. Actually, she will be making two, one without setting squares, and one with. I just quilted long curvy lines, just like Finn did quite a while ago-with her walking foot, and I did just the same thing. Worked great Finn.
Off to dream land- looking forward to the weekend!

9 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger Darcie said...

Your charity quilt looks great, Cher! I just love simplicity! I've got a thing for long and lean lately. Hmmm.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

Great looking quilt. I love totally scrappy and Rail Fence is one of my favorite patterns. Very simple and easy but lots of ways to arrange it.

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Patti said...

What a neat looking scrap quilt. Wonderful example of scrap quilting like our foremothers did it. I guess it's a good thing I'm not one of you charity workers - I think I would have nabbed this one to keep for myself.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Very cute - my next string quilt is going to be similiar to this. Usually I use the strings on the diagonal but I want to go for a basketweave look - I'll probably put mine on point.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi cher, love the strip quilt you just bound. It truly is one of the old "scrappy" ones. And the piecing together of the bits to get one more needed strip...quilting history at it's best!

The Gee's Bends quilts that are so admired wouldn't exist if the makers had matched everything and waited for enough of one fabric. The industry sure has helped us lose sight of that.

So very happy that the odds and ends and squares made Evelyn happy. That gives me great joy, as well as a quilt coming from them. If it seems to work out I'll send more.
You are doing a great job to get these quilted and ready to bind. Hugs, Finn

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger just jenn said...

That looks great! I wish I could find somewhere to help with charity quilts. I enjoy doing the binding and all and would love to do that part of it. :)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

love the simplicity. It feels like a "real" scrap quilt to me (ahhhh isn't it wonderful we all have our own preconcieved comfort zones of what's a "real" quilt....) :-)

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

Nice, I like these totally scrappy ones too. :)

And Alice sure is a sweetie! (But how come she's not wearing a quilted bib and laying on a quilted blanket, hmm?)

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Love the scrappy quilt. Once i get some UFOs completed i would like make one using my strips.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home