Sunday, March 05, 2006

got your sunglasses on??


Wonder what I have been doing this weekend?

I needed a break from scrappy and as Sunday is our monthly meeting for my small group called the Portland Piecers (we make wraptheminlove quilts) I cut the fabric for this top Saturday around 8 pm. The day was devoted to yard work..enough said.

So...the idea was something bright, fast, and easy. I pulled the focus fabric as it has been sitting on top of a stack in here-the other gals had not been inspired by it..so I took pity on it-besides, it is the perfect little kid fabric! and because Martie said red and turquoise do not go together (ok, she was talking about a shirt and sweatshirt I was wearing at the time) I decided, great colors for the four patch block. They worked for me. By 10:30 pm I had all the blocks stitched into rows-and this morning I stitched the rows together. Off to the meeting where I put on both borders and cut red fabric for the binding. I had already cut more of the focus fabric for the backing. Ready to be sandwiched and quilted- not bad for the time spent. I had some of the focus fabric left-one of the gals swore she had never seen this fabric and liked it. Picture my evil grin as I handed it to her, saying there you go! You get the last of it, let's see what you come up with using it. I also gave her a good chunk of the turquoise as,she mumbled something about not having anything to go with it...are you kidding me? I replied, it has yellow,pink,red, turquoise, and green in it...lots of choices. One of the other gals was making 3D bowties...so I got a hands on lesson in making them...after all I have some red and turquoise left over...will see how many of those I can make.

I have another project with a deadline of Thursday-so my poor wonky village is still on the back burner. More quilt show photos upcoming too....I am trying to post them in like groups-when blogger allows me to. It's been a most satisfying quilty day for me today-hope it was the same for all of you!

Life is good:

fish tacos for dinner from a great fast food place

a phone call from older son

quilting with great friends and laughing a lot

6 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Don't you like those fast quilts? I got a donation top done this weekend too but mine is smaller than yours.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Debby Brown said...

Cher,

Red and turquoise most certainly DO go together! Love the quilt.

To answer your post, I've had my Gammill Optimum for six years and love it.

Superior claims that Bottom Line was designed for quilting, embroidery, bobbin, binding, and appliqué. I bought a cone of white to see how it worked for me and now I know that it isn't a great quilting thread (for me) but is an excellent bobbin thread. Superior Rainbows (old style) were advertised as not working on Gammill machines but I never had a problem with them. I now buy a single cone of a thread and try it and see how it works best for my machine.

Thanks for the post.

Debby

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Lovely rainbow quilt, now that has to brighten someones day!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Debra Dee said...

Very fun.... what a great little quilt that you zipped out in no time. You go girl. Some little one is going to be so thrilled.

Since you did yard work this past weekend, I suppose that means vacation is over. I was really enjoying your time off.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Cher, missed you this weekend,but sure am glad you got some sewing time in..*VBS* I love the reject fabric..good for you for rising to it's challenge. It's a brillant quilt..and I don't mean in color, altho it's that too. It's very happy and cheerful. I think any kid would love it, and a lot of old folks too. How can you not feel good about something so happy.
Sorry the yard work grabbed ya, but I think you had a good reward in sewing with your group. Ya know, it sounds to me like that after the fact gal was on a "fishing trip"..as in, maybe you'd give her everything...LOL..hurray for making bowties..they are fun!! I trust you learned the quick kind?? the sew and flip square?

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute, fast, and fun- I like it!!!!

Out of curiosity, where did you get your fish tacos? We have rubios where I live, and I LOVE them!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home