Monday, August 07, 2006

lost weekend

Here are photos of the quilt I gave as a wedding gift to our neice-Susan. My son took these photos and that is HIS cat above my head-
















Friday when I came home from work-there was a broken cable, meaning no computer. They came and fixed it Sunday morning-however, I was off doing my monthly meeting with my quilt group and then had my son visiting from Texas and his girlfriend over for supper and the evening. Sorry, no close ups of the wonderful feathered wreath quilting in those large white squares! When I get a chance, I will have to go back to Susan's and take some more photos with my own camera. With no computer- as others have mentioned, you sure can get a whole lot of quilting done! I pulled out donated tops for our charity group meeting and worked on downsizing several, matching up with backs and stitched some batting together-all in all, I sandwiched two quilts for charity and one quilt for my new grand nephew. I added borders to a panel (using the fabric I bought with Patti last weekend) and had exactly enough for the backing! A few small ends for the scrap basket-but all that latest fabric is gone. I bought it for this panel as it matched the theme perfectly as well as being the right colorway. Also the swaddling blanket I made for Alice used up the other piece of fabric I bought. So- the last two pieces I bought at the end of July are used up. Sunday morning I sat down and quilted one of the two quilts for charity-packed up and arrived at the lqs where we meet and quilted the other one. One of the group members trimmed up the first quilted top and I stitched on scrap binding I had (I keep a container of leftover binding strips..boy are they handy!) when I finished quilting the second quilt-another gal trimmed that one up for me. I stitched a label onto a quilt brought in and that wrapped up my time at the lqs. I dumped it all into my quilting space when I got home. My son and his girlfriend have driven in from Texas for a short visit home. They are staying over at his dads-but came over when I called and said I was home. He was not up for the chicken enchiladas I had planned-so off we went to PF Chang's-my favorite chinese place.
A very nice visit and a chance to get to know his girlfriend. I think she's a keeper, but, time will tell. At any rate, they left and it was too late to think about quilting.
Nice to be back in blogger land-nice to be back online period. I will try and get around and check in with you all....but, tonight I expect to back at the machine..I have the nephew quilt waiting to be quilt, the second charity quilt waiting to have binding attached-then both will be machine stitched to finish up being bound. The charity quilts go out of the country as a rule and get hard use-hand work doesn't hold up nearly as well, so doing it all by machine is encouraged by Ellen (the founder of our organization, Wraptheminlove). Housework and a movie were also squeezed into the weekend, and in my opinion it all made for a relaxing two days.
PS....I visited a new quilt shop downtown- exactly my taste in fabrics!!!! I resisted but, that a gift certificate from that place is on my Christmas wish list!

14 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Very nice quilt - and a very nice wedding gift. I'm sure the quilting makes it even more special.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Wow, you certainly had a very full weekend! I'm proud of you for getting so much done. It does help to be off-line!

Bloglines is failing me the last couple days. It kept telling me there were no blog updates. I couldn't believe that so I started around the ring. I've missed a bunch of postings by people, including yours. Obviously it isn't infallible.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Cher, sorry to be missing as well...but so good to see you again *VBS*
The quilt looks fantastic. What a great job you did on it, and such a lovely, lovely gift!!
All the rest takes my breath away...did I mention I'm slow??? LOL..I'll be here on the sidelines cheering you on!!
I look forward to more pictures when they arrive..Hugs, Finn

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - gorgeous quilt! Such an interesting pattern! Would love to see a close-up of the quilting if you can get one.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Judith said...

Wow what a beautifull quilt, I am sure she was very happy with that.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Nice quilt, I love the way you used different "blues" for those "diamonds" & were scrappy in general... Whole lotta quilting space in the white areas - I can't wait to see the wreaths.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Gail said...

Your neice is one lucky girl, nice job on that quilt! I'm amazed at how many charity quilts you work on and still get a big project like that done.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Darcie said...

You are so busy, Cher! Wow!

This quilt is gorgeous...it just sparkles! I love the varying intensities of the blues and the yellows. You really created a lot of movement...but yet it is still subtle and calming. Great job!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

What a lovely quilt you've made for your niece. Well done.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

you did a great job, Cher. And wow, you've been busy. That's great there's a nearby quilt shop that has fabric you adore. I wish I were so lucky!

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Welcome back to blogland. =) Sounds like you had a quilty time of it while you were waiting for the computer.

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger Hanne said...

Lovely wedding quilt.
Without blogs and internet there would have been more time for quilting, but it would not be half that much fun, right ? :-)

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

I've always liked the blue and yellow combination, and the different fabrics give the quilt a nice spark.
Do you rent your energy out, by any chance? You got more done in 2 days than I can manage in a full week. Then again, I wouldn't know about your weekend if I wasn't on the 'puter, would I?

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a lovely quilt you gave as a wedding gift. I look forward to seeing the quilting :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home