Thursday, March 04, 2010

quilting into March



I am telling ya, the days are just flying by! Last Friday night Alice came to play and sleep over. On the drive to my house, she announced she wanted her dinosaur quilt today. She has been playing and sleeping with the fabric for several months, I could understand her feelings. And, it turns out I actually had just finished making the backing for her quilt. So...here she is after we spread it out (it's for her "big" girl bed) on the living room floor and she announced she loved it ! whew, averted a big disappointment and bought more time as I explained quilts take a long time to make.

Once she went back home the next day, I cut and stitched on her top- pinning it together during this last week and managed to get it about half quilted the other night. Tonight as I was shifting it to get ready to quilt the other direction I found a surprise. Clearly, I did not get everything off the sewing table surface I needed to. And, I never noticed my machine slow down or anything! I think Janome should snap this photo up in a great ad about how strong this machine can stitch. I have removed it and will repair the stitching I had to undo. My goal is to finish up the center of the quilt so I can hand quilt on the one or two long sides...another time I will share a photo of what I used for my dinosaur template ...it's pretty funny.

We are leaving Saturday and I have been asked to pack up my machine tonight- which is no problem as the FW is strictly straight stitching only. I want to bring along Alice's quilt for hand work in the evenings. I know what I want to bring, and I am vowing not to over pack. I have a nice selection of scraps and solids to bring and the big quilt to quilt on. We will be back on Wednesday. I really need to upload my other photos on the 2nd camera...I know I have more to share but these two photos will have to do for now. Obviously I am not blogging much right now, but, I am enjoying a creative flow - ah the joys of playing with fabrics and your own ideas.

have a joyful time..Cher

5 Comments:

At 1:49 AM, Blogger Clare said...

I've doubled up the backing and sewn all sides together and I've managed to even sew in a safety pin, but I've never sewn in an ice lolly stick!

You have a joyful time! Can't wait to read what you got up to.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Twisted Quilts said...

That is amazing, you really should send it to Janome. It is amazing what we will do for those grandkids isn't it.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Wow! That is a popsicle stick you sewed thru? And it doesn't look like it screwed up your stitching on either side of stick though.

Thank heavens she was pacified with the backing since that quilt won't be ready for a bit yet with the handquilting you have planned but Alice will surely encourage you every step of the way.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

I neglected to tell you to have a great time on your trip away. I know you will come back refreshed and brimming with new ideas from your class.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Sweet P said...

That's a great quilt! I hope you have great time on your getaway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home