Tuesday, August 15, 2006

notes to comments

Finn thinks some of the fabrics in the previous charity quilts are from the 50's! - in which case some of those fabrics are as old as I am! Wow...gives you a different perspective doesn't it?
In regards to the wonky village wall hanging- it's going to hang in our home, and next year hang in my guild's quilt show. I wasn't going to post a photo of it finished to keep it a surprise-but, knowing that most of you will not be coming to that show -I figured you should see the final result.
And the few local quilters that read my blog won't be seeing it in person probably-so it will still be a surprise for them more or less. I did not take a photo of the label- but it includes the information that it was started January 30th, inspired by Tonya R and includes two blocks from fellow online friends, Dee and Evelyn, with the label being made by Dee and quilted by Robin Hill, pieced by me of course and the finish date of August 14th 2006- with a note that it is an original design.
I was in a hurry to have it done or I would have tackled the quilting myself. Truthfully, I would never have been up to all the wonderful quilting that Robin did-it has a ton of quilting in it-very dense and I really like that look on this wallhanging.
Thanks for all the kind comments- this shows you what you can do with an inspiration from the internet-I am very happy with it. And, it's for me-I haven't done a quilt just for fun, just for me ever. I want to do more letters and work on them being smaller...so I will take on Tonya'schallenge.
I did the mending for my son-he returns to Texas on Thursday-we had a total blast at the beach though it was overcast and cool-ish. We came home to 90 degree plus heat :-) with tired and happy dogs.
By the way: I stopped by my favorite beach quilt shop and guess what??? they had in fabric that matched exactly that plaid in my ostrich round robin block!!! I bought the last 2+ yards they had of it-now I can use that fabric with that project as a unifying element. How cool was that? Martie said right away I blew the no buy rule of August...which is true...but, there was no way I was Not going to buy that fabric, now that I have commited to working with that block.
I did take that into consideration as I stood there...and I am still happy with my choice. I won't buy anymore fabric for the foreseeable future...but I do think when you are working on a specific project and "need" the right fabric, well, you have a choice you can make about that!
Ok, confession time is over-it's on to the next project! and back to work today.


10 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Totally understandable and excusable purchase! (This from the queen of rationalization!)

The wonky village looks supurb. I'm so glad you are keeping it for yourself!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Kim West said...

I agree - the purchase was totally understandable. There was a "loophole" in the guidelines that allowed for purchasing to finish a project. Well the fabric will help you finish a project, right???

Love the wonky village too!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

Thrilled such a fun, happy quilt is staying with you to brighten up your house.

Rules are made to be broken. heh heh heh. Sounds like a needed purchase to me.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

aren't you lucky to have found the right plaid fabric. Good on you to choose not to feel guilty having chosen to buy it -- you might as well actually enjoy your choice!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

That turned out really, really nice. :)

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Susan said...

But wasn't there a dispensation for things you *need*, as well as for souvenirs on a trip? =)

I'm glad the beach outing was such a hit. I could have used some cool ocean or Gulf breezes myself today!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Finn said...

wow-wow-wow...I am so happy*VBS* that you found a fabric to almost match your ostrich..yah!!

And all the rest of the information is good news too..*S* It's so great to see you beginning to piece and quilt again..I missed ya!!
Hugs for fabric found, beach days, tired dogs, wallhangings completed and kept, and autumn coming, Finn

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Pam said...

As I drove up and back to Lincoln City the past 2 wknds I did NOT stop at any of those wonderful coastal quilt shops...although I did not sign up for the fabric depression I haven't purchased even a thread!!!

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

Don't worry-the quilt will be worth it. Just get back on the wagon, and go from there.
Nice that you got to spend some quality time with your son before he heads out.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Vicky said...

Yeah, but emergencies were excluded! You needed it to finish the quilt -- an emergency! Official ruling here! :)

((HUGS))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home