Monday, May 25, 2009

finished charity quilt



I put the last stitches in this quilt last night. We have been on the go all day today- we went out and visited a friend who has three new baby goats, plus a two month old foal. Sweet animal babies! We ate breakfast out, then came home to do various things. It was over to my sons for a wonderful meal of grilled steaks and the best potato salad with plenty of yummy desserts we brought along. A very good time was enjoyed by all. We came home on the early side to be able to take care of the dog and wind down for the evening. My sister and I enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles together, we just completed a 1,000 pieced this afternoon and are about to tackle a new 750 piece one in a short while.
I did the last of the stitching last night when my sister and M were relaxing and reading. We are all huge readers and have already swapped some books and made promises to finish the current book so the other person can have it next. I am currently reading a book M really enjoyed and will pass it along to my sister for example. It's called The Book Thief by Markus Zusak- I am halfway done so should easily finish it before the week is over. I said I would post a photo of the finished guild charity quilt and so...here is both a photo of the front and one of the back. The front is the side with all blocks and black/white polka dot sashing. I used the rest of the go with fabric from the kit given, plus the extra blocks and a bit of stash to bring it up to size. The stash also yielded the perfect fabric for the binding- I am pleased with how it turned out. I did simple straight line stitching so you hardly notice it- but can really see the fabrics.
A visit to Saturday Market on Sunday has resulted in a few sewing commitments for M and my sister to be done before Sunday when my sister flies home. Stay tuned to see what they fell in love with and of course, I had to say I could make them for a lot less! Although, honestly the gal did an awesome job on hers. Mine will be a similar idea/style but with my own approach to fun.

hurray for being on vacation the rest of the week is what I have to say!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Congrats on the finish and enjoy your vacation! :)

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

that black and white fabric just makes the quilt sing. congrats on the finish. I love jigsaw puzzles too but have given up any thought of doing them here with all these cats.

 
At 4:43 AM, Anonymous quiltsbykathie said...

Very cute Cher, love the black and white fabric in there.

kathie L.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Twisted Quilts said...

I love the black and white sashing. I also made a note about the book you are reading. We are great readers too. We also enjoy passing books around. You are way too busy!!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger jovaliquilts said...

I love that horse quilt! The B&W is terrific -- I actually own several yards of that particular B&W because I love it so much. It plays so well with brights!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Great Job Cher!! That particular black and white dot from P & B is an all time favorite of mine. I'll be using that one as sashing for my fungly blocks when I put them together. The visit sounds wonderful so far...so happy to have the vacation time to do this up right! Big hugs, Finn

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Sounds like you are having a great visit! Good company, good food, good books... a little sewing thrown in - sounds perfect!
Cheers! Evelyn

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Magpie Sue said...

Sounds like you and your sister had a good visit. What a nice treat! Love the way your charity quilt turned out too :- )

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Hurray for the finish--looks wonderful, front and back.

I know you are loving this time spent with your sister and your other family members, just as I enjoyed visiting with mine this past week.

We'll catch up later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home