Monday, January 11, 2010

quilting at last

The first Sunday of each month my charity group meets and works on various quilts for the kids.
I have been working on string blocks and made real progress that Sunday. We had a relaxing weekend -yesterday the sun was out long enough for me to take down all the outside Christmas lights..and that motivated me to put away the rest of the holiday related stuff-back up in the attic until next year. I had finished 99% of the string blocks Saturday night so Sunday I trimmed and put the blocks together into a top. I had cut squares for backing and I was able to piece that together as well-wrapping up by making binding from the leftover fabrics. This project was a brown bag challenge from my local guild. It was due last March-I will quilt it up and send it in to the gal nearly a year later-but-it will be one less ufo sitting in here weighing on my conscience.
Once it's quilted I will post a photo.

January usually finds me busy in the creative quilting mode. This year I am joining fellow FABS in doing 10n10- check out Linda (sidebar) blog for a great explanation of what that stands for.


Some of my 2010 goals is to make the Alice quilts she and I have agreed she "needs". She pulled yellow fabrics as yellow is her favorite color- that stack is in here waiting. She is a huge dinosaur fan currently and I found some wonderful dinosaur fabric to go with other dinosaur fabric I already had-plus for her birthday I am giving her a larger doll with a doll bed- which of course will need a matching quilt. I have a FAB challenge due February 1st. I know what I want to make and that is up next on my goal list - I might just make that deadline.


The end of January I will be in a one day workshop with Margaret Miller-whom I have been a fan of since 1999. We will be learning her Angleplay blocks and that should be lots of fun.


March will bring a trip to Sisters and a two day class with Gwen Marston. I can hardly wait for that to come.


And then I need to send in my class application for the July Sisters class week. Some really remarkable teachers will be there. Choices, choices to make.


I was stalled on an art quilt postcard idea but when shopping at Michaels during the holiday season I may have found a solution. I am anxious to play with that idea.


I also want to step up on my charity quilting- last year was my lowest contribution ever and though the time off was reviving...I am ready to get back into that groove as well.


Plenty of wonderful inspiration abounds it's just making the time a priority once again to quilt.


2010 is starting off well- my hope is to keep that quilting flame burning bright all year long.


have a joyful day!

4 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Sounds like you have a lot planned Cher!

I bet you'll be happy to get that string quilt out the door. I hate having things hang over me.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Sweet P said...

That's a great list to be working on! Have fun!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

I hope you are making some progress on your projects. I would have loved to be a little fly on the wall when Alice was telling you what quilts she needed and finding the yellows she wanted included.

Your classes are sure to keep you motivated and inspired this year too. What fun!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

you are inspired.good for you!

now its my turn to wait to quilt again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home