Saturday, January 28, 2006

rant about a quilter's list I am a member on

*********** Warning: following is a long commentary on a quilt list I belong to issue*********

A few of us belong to a list that recently got so far off topic the listmom responded by kicking folks off, with the chance of asking to be allowed back on. I was posting a comment over on Bonnie's blog and decided it was getting too long. Here is my viewpoint: it is her list and she gets to set the rules and enforce them however she choses. I can point out other ways she could have handled it...but bottom line, she is the final voice. Now it is my choice how to respond to the whole matter. I chose to voice my opinion here. I prefer to read that list from the website-no filling my mailbox to overflowing and I can reply directly to anyone easily. I can zip over and look at photos easily-and I can post to the list without any problem. I don't understand why people are so attached to having emails come to their box..but, that is their choice and their right if that is what works for them. I skip over lots and lots of posts that ARE quilt related as they simply do not interest me. I wish people would use common sense or internet etiquette but many do not for whatever reason. I pretty much do not let any of it bother me-as really the majority of these people do not know me-so why take it personally? And, I like knowing just about every point of view is going to be presented-as I value diversity - even when I do not agree. So ends my "rant" on said subject...

5 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Quiltgranny said...

All lists go through this same thing. If everyone liked the same exact things, read their email at the exact same time, and only had the exact same opinions as everyone else on the list, there wouldn't be a problem, right? And there wouldn't be any fun, either!

Well, I think you are dealing with this latest rant well. At times, when I have been on dysfunctional lists, I go nomail for a short while so I don't even have to have the "stuff" in my face to decide about.

Around the time that I begin to wonder what is happening "out there", and I go back on mail, whatever was boiling has long been forgotten.

This too shall pass.

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear Hear! I too read on the web and use the reply to sender function a lot - seems much easier to me. I hope those that got kicked off come back because generally it is a very friendly and helpful list and I really enjoy it.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I skip reading a lot of posts on the list too - you're right it isn't difficult to skip what you don't want to read.

I have to confess that I usually get a laugh or two when things get testy on one of these lists. Some people take things way too seriously.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Finn said...

I'm pretty in the dark(more ways than one this week..LOL) and only picked up on the "rant" aspect from various comments I noticed on blog comments. I'm sure it wasn't funny to those involved, but in my minds eye, I could just see this list mom "stomping her foot" and pointing to the door. Not a nice way to deal with differences.
I could never begin to handle the amount of email a list that big generates.
Glad you had your say, I'm in your corner..much ado about almost nothing.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I (as a SB too) agree with you 100%! (I read from the list and I skim a lot, even quilty stuff.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home