Friday, November 02, 2007

just chatting...

The blog world is getting bigger all the time and I was contacted by a fellow blogger that is also a quilter to share my thoughts on a post she recently did. If you have thoughts on art quilts and subject matter that should be explored by certain groups...well, mosey over and take a read here.

I know from chatting with people I come across in my daily life that I have a few readers that "lurk" and do not post comments- consider this paragraph written to you- I am delighted that you take the time to read my blog...feel free to email me directly should you want to respond to anything I post...also, feel free to never let me know you read my blog! It is all the same to me, you see. I do the same thing- there are many blogs I read and enjoy, and never leave a comment.
It's that great aspect of freedom and choice, you get to exercise it when you are blog surfing.

I respect the folks that like to be more low profile- not everyone wants to be in the limelight and isn't that what makes life so grand? We are all different and I am so thankful that is so.

Today is work book group lunch day- where we discuss the recent book read, Self Storage by Gayle Brandeis, discuss it (decent first book, weak ending) and the new choice is decided upon.
I read this easily in two evenings, which gave me a month and a half to read a few others. Truthfully, I always have at least ten books and several magazines stacked on the night stand.
I almost always read each night before going to sleep- I grew up reading my brains out and that habit has waxed and waned over the years- currently it's in the waxing stage . I live with a very diverse reader-often many serious and in my opinion "sad" topics..so our library contains many, many books waiting to be read -most of which I had no idea were out there. Our tastes vary, which is a great thing about living with another reader-I get the chance to try reading books I normally would never think of reading. ( ok, so I always did that anyway!) It always leads to lively discussions...and I have been known to proclaim, I am NEVER reading that author again. I just do not want to read deep and disturbing and sad books all the time...I like a mixture of topics to read, a mixture of authors and points of view. It's the great thing about being a grown up- I get to make my choices and KNOW I am making them. One of my sons growing up would throw a tantrum saying I was "making" him mad. I always told him that was how he was choosing to feel. boy, did we have ongoing conversations over that idea. Sure, I made him do his homework or chore-whatever, but, he was in charge of his feelings. A very abstract concept to convey to a growing child. I think many adults are still grappling with that fact-claiming ownership of their feelings. I know I self censor many times over consideration of others feelings-which is different than knowing how I feel and expressing it.

sort of rambled along there didn't I? On a quilty note, I finished the binding on two donated charity quilts and on Sunday I am going to share how they turned out with my small quilting group-dedicated to charity sewing. I need to take my camea and share a photo of the raffle quilt for that charity and tell you how you too, could buy a ticket and win this quilt !! so check back on Sunday evening for that post...it's really a beautiful quilt and includes a block I made!

as always, choose to have a wonderful day!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Fabric Fanatic said...

Cher, all my life I was a reader...from the age of 4...I could lose myself in books and loved disappearing with a good one, not quite knowing when I'd surface. I took them to bed with me and in my younger years, I read until the alarm went off and it was time to go to work...YIKES! But, here of late, I am not as interested in books. I spend more time in my studio and surface to get together with friends or go play with the dog. My eyes get tired more easily as I've aged, and am thinking about getting books on tape so that I can still enjoy them while I sew.
Susan
Who was lurking, but isn't any longer...lol.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

When I was growing up I read multiple novels a week. Not so much now, partly because it's hard to find books I want to read. I don't do serious novels. non-fiction sometimes, but not novels. My husband's tastes are different from mine but at least we overlap some on the mysteries. just wish we had a good library nearby. That's the one thing I always look forward to when we're back in the states.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

I am just catching up on my blog reading. I too just read a few that I don't comment on, and some that I read and do comment on.
Hope your sweetie's knee is feeling better now.
Your pink heartstrings is great -- love the purple background.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

I read a lot, (but I'm a librarian, it's an occupational hazard) and lurk a lot too... lol

But when I do see something I like, I generally send a comment - like that tree quilt at the top of the post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home