Friday, June 06, 2008

summer class ...at last a start


I have been thinking a long time on what I wanted to do for the summer class project-part of Tonya's style of encouraging that out of the box kind of quilting- my favorite to play around with.

I tend to save the leftover scraps from a quilting project-at least for a while before they end up being dumped into some scrap container of larger size. The jigsaw puzzle scraps have been kept separate- waiting. I made 2 bedsize (king/queen) quilts with these fabrics- identical, one for us and one for my sister. I am still waiting over a year now for mine to come home from the longarm quilter. It has been my choice to wait so long- no blame being assigned! All I will say is her quilting has always been the standard I hold all other LA's ag
ainst. Anyway..I knew these were the perfect inspiration jumping off fabrics to play with - and despite a whole lot of other stuff going on..I dumped them out and I have made a start about a week ago now. I took a photo of the piles loosely sorted-the clear shoebox holds the larger "yardage" pieces of much of the fabrics..though some were only fqs to start and were almost totally used up in the quilts. I am using some quite small pieces but stitched together from the leftover squares first. I went ahead and cut them apart and pressed them and got them up on the design wall. Nice to have some new color up there! I have promised myself I am not making a large quilt...and this is not by any means how they will be sewn together in the final round. I am just throwing stuff up as I have a pile stitched. I have a ufo swap block that may find a spot in this project. And, letters, yes there will be letters and /or words. I enjoy designing as I go along, so who knows how this will go...for now I am just playing around.


Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

fun, bright, and happy. I have really been drawn to squares lately, so this is right down my alley. wonderful start!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Sweet P said...

That is an interesting assortment of blocks. I can't wait to see what you make with them. I enjoy playing around like you do too.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

It's very colorful and cheery....I need to get back to my trees too and I want to do some letters for my HeartStrings quilt....I need to stay home for a while and not travel but I'll be busy through the end of July.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger margaret said...

Watch out - this could grow & grow & grow!

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Emily Cole said...

I love those bright cheery colors! It's going to be really great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home