Friday, May 30, 2008

preview of fun


The last time Alice came to play was on Mother's Day-and we spent time doing her favorite thing as you can see. The swings are also a hit and I tried catching a photo of her in action-not so successful doing that. The last few days have been jammed packed-work has been extra busy and then last night I drove over to my favorite (read dangerous, spend too much money) nursery for a few plants-my boss was going and it was the motivation I needed-a bit of company on the errand.
I loaded my car which had limited space with two huge bags of super potting soil, two tomato plants, 2 flats of marigolds and petunias, and a lot of nastursiums-just to kick off my planting spree. I came home, unloaded, and had a bit of supper. Then I changed and headed outside. Those weeds just keep on coming- so I did a bit as I spread that garden compost I had shoveled a week or so ago into heaps around the front side-and planted most of the purple petunias. I tried to only spend an hour, but, once I got going-well, I quit when it was too dark to see the weeds. I dug up and liberated my Russian sage from one side of the front to the other. I sure hope it survives-I separated it into two plants as well. I have star creeper taking over one front area and literally washed it all out of the Russian sage before transplanting it. I will keep an eye out for any signs of it showing up-I do not want it taking over this other side of the front yard. A lot of what I planted is on the side where it won't be so obvious as you drive by-however I walk that path constantly to go through the side gate from the front of the yard to the back where the garden shed etc is located. I decided why not throw in a lot of purple to enjoy this late spring/summer. Once I get done on that side- I am about half way done now-I will take a few photos to share- I know fellow gardeners want to see! The weather has been on the coolish side and damp/misty wet so it is perfect for doing as much gardening as I can fit in.
I am still stitching binding on the last quilt-yes, two more were finished, and that one remaining quilt to be quilted-well, remains. I leave work early today (hurray) to pick up Alice to spend the night. I cleared all the lovely quilts/fabric from her crib and it awaits. I have to watch whatever is within arms reach too now from that crib as she can get busy pulling and getting into things when she wakes up! I think teddy bears,quilts, and fabric surrounding her won't be a problem.
Tomorrow, Alice and "help" me do more planting and weeding..I have plenty of small trowels for her to dig in the dirt with and what child can resist having fun playing in dirt? Of course she will also insist on walking over to the park and playing on the equipment-after all she knows that path well. A very fun day with Daddy coming at the end to have supper with us and take her home. Concert for us once he leaves and that will conclude what I know will be a very full and fun day!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Blogger Pam said...

LMAIW sure is growing! They are so fun at this stage...big helpers in so many ways.

Sounds like you have your outside work cut out for you during the breaks in wet weather.

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

A busy weekend already mapped out but I know you will enjoy your time with Alice the most.

Gardening is a lot of work but obviously you enjoy it too. I always freaked out when I spotted what lived in that dirt and quit that a long time ago, LOL.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

How absolutely fabulous is this! Quilting, gardening and Alice in Wonderland! Fantastic fun! Our weather has been just right for being outside, wish it would always be this nice without the heat! Enjoy your day with Miss Alice and that concert too!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

Sounds like heavenly plans. Enjoy

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Sounds like you are busy and having fun! Gardening (dirt) and kids definately go together, especially if you add in the hose!!! With nicer weather finally here I am doing much less sewing and much more puttering around with plants too.

Cheers!
Evelyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home