Tuesday, May 06, 2008

losing your computer, losing your mind

I know I posted about my computer crashing-so you get my title...and of course there has been other stuff on top of the computer crash to add to the sense of being overwhelmed.

Of the many, many joys of being a mom to full grown adult men is having one of them being a computer guru. He built my new computer! And, he came over and recovered the old data-which means with a few more hours of effort on my part-my photos will once again be available.

He was cheerful and wonderful about doing this for me too, even after putting in an eleven hour work day!

I am checking in to say as I keep loading stuff onto this new computer and tweaking it to get it back in the form I like best-I am hand stitching binding on a large-ish quilt. I spent Sunday pinning a stack of about 4-5 quilts to quilt with my charity group. I learned how to fix my fluorescent light fixture from one of the gals who used to be an electrical engineer too. See? another time sucking task on my to do list. I will state for the record-I enjoy learning a new skill that adds to my sense of being NOT helpless. I will enjoy that feeling of accomplishment, once I find the time during daylight hours to unscrew the rest of that fixture and get to the innards. This is where my other son would come to the rescue. The one that took everything apart as a child. Oh how I miss his help- another cheerful and wonderful son who loves helping his mama.
He is a Texan now and calls me mama-took me a while to adjust to a new name you know.

It's May-two quilting classes coming up. A hand quilting class and a challenging paper piecing class. One is this Saturday (hand quilting ) so that takes up that day. Sunday is Mother's Day...and I will spend some time with close by son.

Once this detour of time has concluded I so look forward to picking up on the summer class project I pulled fabrics for. Plus, there is a new FABS quilt in in June - LJ and I have worked together on a new pattern inspired by the tile flooring at my gym.

Oh the garden...it is calling my name loudly too. The dogwood is a late bloomer and it is nearly ready to burst into full pink glory any day now. I will be getting some plants on Sunday to add more color as well. This is the time of year when I am always in conflict- inside and quilt, outside and garden- I want to do both at the same time!
Well time to load up another program. Nice to have a much faster computer and as I add my favorite stuff I certainly appreciate using them.
thanks for stopping by and being patient about the lack of photos.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Isn't it funny how we can no longer live without a computer and the internet? Wasn't too long ago when most homes didn't even have a computer and now we have at least one, sometimes 2 computers~gotta have a back up!!

Nice to have guru sons to come to our rescue!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

I am also very very lucky to have a couple of computer geeks in the family. Actually 4 since the grandchildren are now old enough to be very helpful. I don't know what I'd do without them.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

The time that it takes for something to either download or install is a very productive hand-work time for me.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

The whole computer thing has been driving me crazy the last two weeks also. I finally bought a new hard drive, put it in an older computer and have it up and running -- it'll do until it dies and I'm forced to buy a new, much faster one! Still trying to get things loaded though -- seems to take forever when you have so much to load!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

and slowly and surely it will come together. Did you hear me shrieking when I could not get the display size where I wanted it or the font size to stay put?? Oh what fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home