Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Lucy asked for it...


Lucy asked for a photo of my hexagon hand piecing (EPP) project-so I dug it out and took a photo. I included the photo page from McCall's magazine where it could have been on the cover-back in June 2001-it will have over 900 half inch hexagons by the time I am done. And, I have earmarked it as a gift to my best Aussie friend-started on the plane trip to visit her back in 2003. I even stole some of her stash to include! and not having a deadline for this project means it has lanquished for far too long. I learned they do not have the packaged precut paper piecing shapes when I ran out of them and looked in all the nearby quilt shops in Perth . Shop owners said it would be too expensive to import and would not sell-sheesh. I think I got most of the basket part put together by stitching enough hexagons together to liberate enough to keep going. I would work on this in the evenings while visiting with my friend and her family after they came home from work/school-during the day I used her machine and did a lot of piecing and quilting while she was gone-every project I brought was finished except for one where I could not find the right shade of purple to add to what I had brought. What a great time I had raiding her stash and poking through her sewing room. She had maybe half a bin of brights..her color palatte being the much more subdued tones and 30's repros - most of which I leave to her to play with.
I had a disrupted night of sleeping by my low grade cough waking me up. I am finally ready to begin machine quilting-but the low energy is not making me happy. I accept it's just how it is..so I am not pushing too hard to get a lot done on this quilting ...I will be content to do "some". It's a soup day and hot tea later...maybe a nap even. I appreciate I can use my time in this way to take care of myself...too bad I have to venture out and get some ingredients for the soup I am longing to make :-)

4 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Thank you cher!! I never have seen this pattern.. I know once you will finished it !It is so lovely. But now i read your story I know why I didn't start before. it is so intensive to make it. But a good thing to do whyle waiting in hospital...

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

When I do the paperpiecing I alway do the "catch and release" method with the paper. Otherwise when you come to the end there is paper and tiny-tiny threads floating everywhere!

Hope you head off the cough and are feeling better.

Siobhan

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Nice basket... I have a hand-project that has gone on for a while too.... (Now that we canbring scissors back onto planes, maybe I'll bring it to Australia in May.....)

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better by now. Wow, all those hexagons! they lookgreat, and you have my admiration!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home