Saturday, February 25, 2006

being well read

your blog I mean...hard to keep some things "secret" if that person or persons read your blog.
And some friends are mighty good detectives too! So-anyway....here is most of my quilt shop discovery experience....with a few omissions.

My sister and I had Friday open for doing whatever we felt like: she decided going to a movie would be good. She even found a movie she wanted to see-Transamerica-and I was fine with that- like whatever so long as it is not horror or sad. gotta draw some lines right? As the movie wasn't until the afternoon time slot-we figured hitting a quilt shop was in order- she needed labels and some fabric for a sleeve - which I would do before leaving on Tuesday. I tracked down with help from online quilter friends, InTown Quilters [Quilt Shop] as being a shop not terribly far from where my sis lives. It was a warm sunny day and we were off. This quilt shop was an immediate hit with me from the moment I stepped inside the door. Glorious bright colors everywhere! Batik quilts lying all around- wonderful bright quilts up on the walls...I mean really, what more could I ask for? I decided this was a sign for adding to my stash-fabrics that made me want to sit right down and cut into them and make something to wrap around on gloomy days. I found so many fun fabrics...whimical and humorous and cheery. It was a very tough job to hold back and only get a taste of what this shop had to offer. And the best thing of all was hearing my sister ooh and ahh over the fabrics and say she wished we had the time together to teach her to quilt now...instead of having to wait. Music to my ears- at any rate...after getting my lovely fabric wrapped up we left and had a nice Thai lunch before going to the movies.
I thought the film was done very well-and had some humorous moments too. When we got out it was still on the early side of the afternoon -plenty of time to come home and relax. Did I mention we have now done a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle and a 500 piece one and started on the 3rd-another 500 one? Somehow we don't have any other friends that spend time with us that like to work on them-so we are getting our puzzle fix in while we have so much time together. We went on to a lively game night with her friends after eating leftovers for dinner at home. We were having a grand time when my sister became ill and we had to leave early. By the time we got home-she was pretty green and glad to be able to climb into bed. Today she is gradually feeling better-the good news-and I think she got whatever 24 hour bug her son had earlier in the week. Today was cleaning day-left to me to oversee. I rallied the boys and as a team we did it all. My sister was impressed at the end results. She has pretty much stayed in bed or on the couch (when I was cleaning her room/bath) either reading or napping. Max the yellow lab has been staying by her side-making sure she is ok. So-around the cleaning and another chore I tackled I have been able to do blog reading catch up and other internet stuff needing my attention. Oh, yeah, I handled the laundry-not a big deal around here. The boys do their own...sometimes at 11 pm at night -that would be the 18 year old...realizing he wants something to wear to school the next day! At any rate, it's been nice to spend more time online and feel I know what everyone is up to a bit more. I am ready to go do some hand quilting...
later I hope to use her camera and upload a glimpse of some of the fabrics I bought..after her nap time that is.

10 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Great adventure!! And hurray for sis's enthusium.. a good sign for sure!! I've been checking out the WTIM foundation site, and I think I've caught the fever...LOL. Have a wonderful rest of your vacation!! Hugs, Finn

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

Sounds like you are having way too much fun on your vacation. And how great that your sister is catching your quilting "bug"! Enjoy the rest of your stay.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

visiting a quilt shop while on vacation is always fun...seems like I let myself go a bit more then when I visit the ones in my own town. Sort of like allowing myself to order desert while on vacation! Hope your sis feels better soon.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Granny said...

Good thing you were there for your sister's time of need! Glad you all have had fun together and hope she is feeling better.

Judy L.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Glad you found a quilt shop nearby. Hope your sister is completely recovered by now.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Hunter said...

Oh, my gosh. I just told Dear Hubby that I was going to start a jigsaw puzzle in my workroom when it's done. I miss jigsaw puzzles. (Tigger loves to help with them.)

And the quilt shop sounds wonderful.

Happy quilting.
Darilyn

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Kairle Oaks said...

I hope that your sister is feeling better. I'm sure she appreciated your help. Sounds like you've had a good time together.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Sounds like another quilter is on her way LOL. You had a very busy but productive day - it's great to spend time with family like that. The shop sounds like it was a veritable Aladdin's cave LOL

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

There's nothing better than spending time with a sister! ENJOY!
Hugs
Laurie

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Enjoying keeping up with your visit Cher!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home