Tuesday, March 14, 2006

time crunch quilt??


In 2000 I took 3 classes from one quilt shop (since closed)-all had nine patch blocks as part of the quilt design. One was my blooming nine patch-another was my nine patch/rail fence which I will post a photo of another day and the last was this current ufo. The teacher resized the pattern and called it Stars and Chains...from the book, Time- Crunch Quilts by Nancy J Martin.
The page you see is from her book - lots of open space for some fun quilting to be displayed. We had to pull 8 to 9 fqs of three colors-and back in those days I was trying to use fabrics I had collected -the white background floral was my focus fabric and I pulled the colors from that. It was my first time working with "scrappy" so a lot of the values are the same-but, I really like all the yellows I used. It was a one day - 8 hour class. At the end of the day, all my nine patch sub units were ready to be assembled into nine patch blocks-all the hour glass units cut and one block was assembled so you had an idea of how it would look. Another 14 blocks left to put together. I put everything for this class into one place and went back to working on that blooming nine patch quilt. Then the nine patch/rail fence class started. That class was a beginner's class- as, in theory I was a beginner. I never did get back to the Stars and Chains. I was pretty sick of making nine patches by the time I finished that beginner's class quilt.
When I pulled this ufo out-I had forgotten where I left off. I was happy to see it all cut and waiting. I sat down and finished those nine patches in a day. I then started to put together an hourglass unit for each set of four to hand out. I ended up making a second block as I was having so much fun working on this. My group has up to two months to hand back those units to me-so I am not rushing to trim down the nine patch units just yet.
As my friends noted....these are not colors I would choose today! And I will probably gift this quilt to someone once it's finished and I have enjoyed the satisfaction of seeing it done.

11 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I love that color combo. So I'll just send you my address and you can tell me when I can expect my quilt. LOL!

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

That is the start of a beautiful quilt! (Nancy can have it since she asked first, but that beauty would fit in at my place too!)

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Finn said...

What a fun idea to hand them out and get them back..ready to assembly..*VBG* Leave it to you to think of something like that..LOL

I love the blue/yellow combo..but I know what you mean about the value thing. Still happens to me. I have an Ohio Star "sitting" in the UFO's. When I finally put the majority of the blocks on a design wall, I realized the center squares that I thought had so much "impact" just faded into nothingness. And so it sits...maybe it would make a good WTIL quilt???? Hmmmmm....

Keep up the great work on thoe UFOs and March will be bustin' at the seams with "finishes" Hugs, Finn

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

I love those colors. And I'm so impressed that you could pick something up and finish it after it's been put away. I'd have to make detailed notes so I could start again.

Hey, maybe that's why I have to finish things. I'd never be able to figure out what I was doing later. LOL.

Great work. I can hardly wait to see the finished quilt.
Darilyn

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

You know, there is just something timeless and classic about the pattern pieces that make up this block - 9 patch, 4 patch, stars... Some of the "beginner" patterns are my absolute favorites - this one is looking great!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Kairle Oaks said...

It's nice to pull out a quilt from the past and go to work on it. It'll look great when it's done and will make a great gift for some lucky recipient.
Kairle

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Love that block, how fun!!

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the yellows too - makes the quilt a lot brighter. It's a lovely block and will make someone very happy to receive it. I love the fact that with quilting we can put something away that's not exciting us until we pull it out later and we have renewed enthusiasm and often more ideas than we started with LOL.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

Cher,
I love the blocks!!! What fun!!! Yellow and blue is such a calming quilt! Keep up the great work!
Hugs
Laurie

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

all our tastes change as we keep quilting- even if these are not your colors now, it is a lovely start to a quilt!!!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

Cher-those blocks are beautiful. And I understand what you mean about tastes changing--I loved blue and yellow in 2000 (hence a lot of quilts those colors during that time). I still like it, but am on to other things now. Finish it and then when you look back 20 years from now, you'll be able to tell what your tastes were like over the years. Fond memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home