Sunday, May 25, 2008

current quilting status


Yesterday morning I started quilting on this quilt.
It's a UFO from last November when I was at a retreat in southern Oregon. I didn't get too many blocks made and it sat for quite a while. I had a lot of fun working out of the string bags to finish up these blocks and putting the top together went fast. I added various leftover strips to side border it up to the size I wanted. I am doing what I have called "zoom" lines. I start at a corner and put pedal to metal until I reach the end. I pivot and do the next line. Eventually all the squares have a diagonal line quilted through them and I am done. I am using a large cone of variegated black to white thread. I think I bought this thread as an online special and added it to the thread stash. I figured it would be good to use it on this quilt-the cone is sitting behind my machine-you only see the large top of the stand in this photo. To the left of my top is a print out of the FABS next pattern, guild challenge fabric, and a few stacks of Christmas charms. Plus various odds and ends that get shoved over to the side as the days pile up. A few more pinned quilts wait on the floor on the lower left of the photo too. You can see I have no problem working in the midst of chaos. Yesterday was spent mostly doing other non-quilty stuff. I spent some lovely quality time with my dil shopping for Alice. Upcoming birthday party items (she is turning 2, how did that happen???) and then new summery clothes. This works out so well for me-we did the same thing last year shopping for clothes. I went overboard last year and this year restrained myself to only two outfits. She will get them as part of her birthday presents.
I raised two sons and those of you who are moms can appreciate the joy of shopping for a little girl I am experiencing. I like going with my dil as she has very decided ideas on fashion etc for Alice and I am happy to spend my money on clothes I know she likes-that means Alice will wear them and that's a win-win I like. Alice is due to come spend the night this coming Friday. I can hardly wait!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

I do not know why my feeds don't always update. Had you not told me you had posted yesterday morning, I would have missed your post.

Sounds like you had a lovely day with your DIL. What fun shopping for your "grand" grand. At 2 she won't know that you restrained yourself but your pocketbook will.

Good job on the quilting, gf! Once I get that danged t-shirt top done and backing made I can start on my stack--some DO go to M2M and need to be done and mailed before long!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger bingo~bonnie said...

I like your description of "zoom" quilting :) Your string quilt is another string sinsation! I love it!

that is so cool that you went shopping with Alice's mommy and bought things she liked. You are a GREAT MIL and we should all be so lucky to have a thoughtful MIL like you! I have yet to be able to justify buying any cute dresses for my little ones b/c they receive so much... but the cute stuff that is out there for girls is so tempting!! For now I guess I will stick to the PJs and shoes as that is the only thing that we need and don't have people giving us. ;)

Glad you posted your blog on Heartstrings so I could find it ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

 
At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a lovely creation ! It's a nice pattern. Too have done apparel shopping at Freemans for my birthday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home