Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Jean Wells: inspiration galore!

I had a wonderful time at guild last night, despite not winning any churn dash blocks, nor winning our fabulous raffle quilt. Good thing I didn't buy any lottery tickets-clearly not a winning day for me. It was however, INSPIRATION winning no question. Jean Wells was our guest speaker and put on a lovely power point chat and then, did a trunk show of her quilts- wow! So, follow this
and see what I am talking about! (if you click on gallery, you will enjoy seeing many of the quilts she brought and I got to touch and examine...fun!) I wish I could stay home and play with all the ideas her lecture gave me today- instead I am at least blogging about it . I have met and chatted with Jean over the many years of living in Oregon and visiting Sisters-always enjoying her quilt shop and finding fabric or something that needed to come home with me. I was delighted when I saw some of her work at the Sisters quilt show this year-as she clearly was working in a new direction-and it was such fun to chat with her about it all. She is a lovely person and is currently teaching some great classes based on her recent classes/work with Nancy Crow...all of which reminded me of Gwen Marston and Lisa Call. I would place our own Tonya right up there as well with these quilters-those women who have embraced quilting and taken their own style/path with it. Who also encourage us to explore, play, and discover our own vision in our quilting. I may not be able to afford to fly off and take a class or do a retreat with those teachers I find so inspiring-but I surely can enjoy their books/blogs/work and play in my own quilting space.
Did I mention I can barely stand the thought of going into work this morning???

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Isn't Jean the sweetest person! I remember the year my friend and I travelled with a guild on a bus trip to the Sisters Quilt show. When we rolled into town, the bus driver slowed down to look for a parking place. Jean ran out and chatted with the driver and showed him where to park. She then greeted each of us as we got off the bus and posed with us next to the Welcome to Sisters sign. We felt so special!

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

What a great event. Jean's quilts actually remind me a lot of Melody Johnson's. thanks for the sweet words. sorry you have to go in to work today!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

Oh, I know those days when it hurts to go to work rather than play with fabric! Looks like you had a wonderful event, even with no lottery winning ;-)

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Lucky for you such a great presentation was right in your neck of the woods. How fun to see these quilts up close!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Aw, rats! No blocks came home with you? Simple but classic blocks in classic colors--someone else will enjoy the ones you made from your stash. I liked the darker background best anyway.

I remember one from Fons and Porter that had all different sized Churns in the same quilt--3, 6, 9, 12's, I think, they called it. That would be a fun quilt to make.

You just have had a hard time sleeping after getting revved up at the Jean Wells presentation.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger McIrish Annie said...

what a treat for you! I was lucky enough to meet Jean in Houston last year. She is a special lady. I love what she is doing now! Thanks for the link

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Wow! Jean really is going in a new direction isn't she. Spending time with Nancy Crow can do that to you. Interesting quilts - and I can certainly see you doing something like these in your future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home