Wednesday, July 15, 2009

a little Tonye and Kathy




I attended two lectures during my week at Sisters leading up to the Quilt Show on Saturday.
One was by Tonye Phillips (artist-quilter) and Kathy Deggendorfer (artist-watercolor), called "We've Been Framed".

Both women live in the Sisters area and are amazing artists- together they have created wonderful art. Last year Tonye's quilts really caught my eye and I took many photos of her beautiful and amusing quilts. This year I captured a bit of their magic together.

The High Desert Gallery does fantastic framing of their work, plus,
many, many other talented artists. One of the owners was at the lecture and spoke briefly of the archival treatment they do when framing fabric and watercolor together...imagine the idea you could take apart the framed art work and the fabric would be able to be used!

Anyway..they did a lively and entertaining lecture with a terrific slide show. Many of their framed works were there and they introduced new bags they had designed for sale. I chose to buy the bag with the Scottie dogs...just too cute!

Here is one of my favorites of what they do together-and they encouraged us to follow their path, stalk an artist and team up your quilting with their art.

And, because this was a time when I kept running into people at the right time and at the right place...I found a glass artist to team up with. She lives in Portland and has a mother who also is a quilter. I came home and cleaned off the sewing table and hung my inspiration from her. I pulled a few fabrics...I set my machine back up from taking it along on vacation...now I need to play with the many swirling ideas/designs in my head!

I am also going to keep up on my class quilt. I have a lot more cutting to do before I can do any more sewing. I will wait a bit to share those photos.

I am so glad we cleaned house for the dog sitter before leaving on vacation! Everything looks just like when we left (ok, so the kitchen table is covered in "stuff"!) so I can ignore house chores for a while. LMAW, little miss alice wonderful will be spending Saturday night-so I won't get too much done once she arrives to play. That means I need to make the most of my time this week and not spend too much time playing on the computer!

I will save my class fun for another post.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

"And, because this was a time when I kept running into people at the right time and at the right place.." Boy, did you ever! What fun that was to watch you in action ;) And being one of those people (or were you the one I ran into?) at the Gee's Bend Lecture was such amazing synchronicity...especially since I waited over an hour to see if I'd even get in and there you were one more seat over! Walking and talking with you and Doni was a blast..oh, did I say walking? Well, the blisters,shin splints and charley horses are gone now, but the great memories still linger! Such FUN!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Finn said...

How exciting to be off on a new quilting adventure *VBS* And three cheers for finding an artist to pair with.I can hardly wait to see what come of all this *VBS* Big hugs, Finn

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

so glad you had a great time!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger jacquie said...

cher,
what a wonderful opportunity and to meet and take classes from these fabulous folks. i'm so happy for you!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Nat Palaskas said...

Cute tots, tell me you didn't make them because if you did, I have to put order in for some. Thanks visiting my blog - Regards Natima

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Rosalyn Manesse said...

Love the happy sunflowers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home