Sunday, July 09, 2006

scanner lesson #1

It's been a great day ...until I went to upload photos from the camera...dead camera....all batteries I have need recharging. So, I decide time to learn how to use the scanner part of my printer...I hunt down the picture I want to scan-and here is part of it...I have no idea why it did not scan the entire photo. However, it does show you part of the quilt I commented about over at Finns (Saturday post) which I wanted to share visually. I think the point I was really trying to make is: a scrap block can be made various ways...two of those squares could be a rectangle instead for example. In fact looking at this photo, you could break it down from a 12 inch finished block to six inch by doing plain six inch squares and the four patch of squares and half square triangle blocks. And it would depend on which sort of scraps you were trying to use up too. As you can see, this was a planned quilt-no scrap usage on this one! But, the idea remains...you could easily mix it all up and it would look so very different. So, maybe this version is not quite the same block as Finns...but, enough that it brought my quilt immediately to my mind of course. I changed the layout from the book I used this block from anyway. I am now having an extended heat break and heading to those borders...no photos until the camera is powered back up ...(oh yeah,...this quilt pattern came from: More Quilts for Baby by Ursula Reikes) I did this as part of a charity retreat with my small quilt group in 2003.

5 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Cher, I wonder if you didn't have the picture placed in precisely the right spot on the scanner? I know on my old one, once I figured out where it had to go exactly then I was good to go. My new one has it marked I believe. I think I have a picture of that whole quilt if you want to swap it out as that pattern has always been one I would like to make--book or no book.

You know when I first looked at Finn's blocks I flashed to yours in my mind. Something about it triggered it. It is all just squares, triangles and rectangles (usually) in a quilt block--just varying sizes of them.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Wow..yup, I see what you mean Cher...it sure would work the way you describe, and I think it would actually be easier.

Thanks for digging out the picture and figuring out the scanner..*VBS* No clue for you,though, as to why it scanned that way...sorry..*S*

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

What are the dark things on the white fabric? I thought at first they were spideys, but close up they look like they might be turtles or little beetles/ladybugs?

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

It is amazing how different fabrics and different size of blocks can make the same pattern look completely different.

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck figuring out the scanner! those Ursula Reikes books are great... Many many many of the million baby quilts I seem tohave made have been from her patterns!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home