Friday, May 23, 2008

current class project


here is the start of my version of Judy Niemeyer's Indian Summer pattern. The link is in a previous post, so I am not giving it again. I pulled from my stash shelf of autumn type fabrics and shopped to fill in more lights (21 strips needed) and just a few more tie-ins to all those autumn focus type fabrics I seemed to have fallen for in my early stash building days. The leafy type fabric I have maybe 3 yards of - for example-the other two-I bought half a yard for this top. Already you can see my progress as a stash enhancer-half yard cuts rule! I have a ton of autumn yardage left over and no interest in making too many more autumn-y quilts-solution? I am going to send some of the excess fabric to a dear friend and some of it...maybe quite a bit will end up as my first crocheted rug. I caught up reading Finns blog (see sidebar) and loved her rug tutorial-finally all the bits of information handy to dive into this project that has caught my fancy for quite a long time-years in fact.

Back to the Indian Summer quilt- it takes 42 blocks and as you can see-I have 3 done. I paired all my darks/lights together and have about half my strips cut. I wanted to spend at least half my time learning Judy's method of paper piecing-of course-she was fabulous and I learned a huge amount. She gave a great slide show and her trunk show of her quilts were amazing. She has cranked out a huge amount of finished quilts-over 700 according to her husband and they are all wonderful. Now to keep working on this project, continue doing my handquilting homework (which I have done very, very little of) and pick back up on quilting the stack of waiting quilts for charity. I also finally sent out the pattern inspired by the tile floor at my gym, known now as CGF's pattern to the FABS-thanks to LJs help. She has EQ6 and a flair for writing up the directions-I do not own EQ6 or any quilt software and feel I have zero time to take on learning that skill -so LJ to the rescue. This works great for me *vbs* Our quilt-in will be June 28th and sure to be a fabulous day of fun. The king size Shakespeare in the Park quilt has come home from the longarm gal and was thrown on the bed minus binding-just trimmed. It has turned from 90 plus degree weather to about 65 degree weather in two days...chilly! no problem, just toss a few more quilts on the bed, add a hot water bottle for those cold feet and bring on the chill factor. This is typical Oregon spring weather.
Monday I spent wheelbarrowing 25 loads of garden compost and prepping for Judy's class. Tuesday was spent all day taking the class going right into guild meeting that night. Wednesday night was go over and enjoy some Alice time-gosh, she just gets more adorable every time I see her-and last night? Finally some online catch up chatting time with a few of the FABS .
Tonight I have promised my sweetie- pizza and movie night. We used to dedicate Friday nights to doing that-and it has been far too long since we last had one. Of course my plan is to put in some hand quilting time during the movie watching part. Doesn't this sound like a great evening plan? I think it will be perfect for kicking off a 3 day weekend off. Hope your plans for tonight are as fun!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Can I stop and catch my breath after reading all that you have been up to, LOL? No wonder it took so long to get to chat with that schedule.

Shucks, it ain't nothing with the computer and handouts. I do those all the time for the Belles for something or another. I'm the go-to-gal after all! Look forward to piecing the top.

I love how these blocks look, Cher. It is going to be one gorgeous quilt--one that I would not mind trying out myself as I love to foundation piece.

We did movie night on Sunday--easier than dealing with him flipping channels when we agree what to watch up fron, LOL. Hope you have a fun time together.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Candace said...

What beautiful blocks. I love the colors and ghe geometricness (is that a word?) of them. I cant wait to see the finished quilt, I think I'm going to have to google the pattern name to get a peek.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your blocks are looking really good. I like your color choices :)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Helen in the UK said...

What a great block - love your colour choices too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home