Tuesday, January 10, 2006

hand quilting

I took a class in hand quilting - what I learned I did not practice enough to benefit to the fullest from the class.
It went by the wayside in the interest of machine quilting and getting quilts done faster so I could use them or give them away. However, there are some quilts that do call for hand quilting. I hand quilted cat faces on one large quilt-as that was the only way I would have been happy with the design. I hand quilted a small wall hanging for a small quilt group member-it was a challenge and that was what it needed. I am currently doing another wall hanging for myself and hand quilting it. I may do machine quilting around the border edges- I haven't decided yet. I like this project- and I am doing some every day during my lunch break. So, each day there is something quilty happening. If it wasn't packed for the day I would take a photo- maybe tonight if I remember I will post it in progress. I know photos are worth more than many words most of the time when it comes to quilting!

I am considering hand piecing a project I started late 2003 as a challenge with my two Aussie friends when I was visiting-I took a class in it January 2004 but it was such a challenging pattern for me it made me cry. It's Jack's Chain-from Marti Mitchell's book, 101 Nine Patch Quilts. the last one. the hardest one. what were we thinking?? my two friends are much more adept than I when it comes to difficult patterns! However, the class I took had another approach. I have all the fabric etc in three huge ziplock bags-waiting. It's a hexagon surrounded by small (3 inch finished) nine patches and triangles. I am using my most favorite color and fabrics, I am doing a controlled scrappy color theme- purple and yellow. I have a bolt of the background/backing fabric .
So, I am not willing to totally give up on this idea/project. It is by far my most difficult ufo to tackle-so, I probably will continue to muse on it for quite a while. Did I mention I can be totally stubborn about some things?
If I tackle the other approach by machine method and it doesn't work...I may turn this into a hand piecing project with no deadline...but, I already have a great English paper piecing hand project- much further along to enjoy.
Well, it's been in the back of my mind for over a year...only recently have I given energy to the idea of hand piecing it...so it will continue to be mulled over...some projects just take the time they take.

6 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Finn said...

It sounds very ambitious, but I am sure you can do it..*S* As you say,some projects just take as long as they take. You go girl!!!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I hand quilted cat faces on one large quilt-as that was the only way I would have been happy with the design.

Can we see a photo? Do you still have your template, if you used a template... I want to do this too, but I am not happy with my drawings of kitty faces....

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I did a quilt a few years ago with applique hearts. Each heart is a different cat fabric. Then the alternating blocks are 16 patches made from all my cat fabrics. If I ever get around to hand quilting it I plan to put a cat face in the middle of each heart. But it's really HUGE so I'm not sure it won't end up going to a longarmer.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

So many choices... isn't that half the fun planning it all?? :-)

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

That's what is so neat about quilting...there are SOOOOOOOO many techniques!
Hugs
Laurie

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Granny said...

Cher, I have a few projects like that too. Sometimes they get to weighing on my mind . . that I should finish them but I like the quick, easy to finish projects.

Whatever your decide to do and however you go about it, I hope you have fun with it. I know it will be beautiful!

Judy L.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home