Sunday, April 02, 2006

new blocks



stash fabric-a simple selection of light,medium, and dark...this is a first step variation of the rail fence from Billie Lauder's book Beyond the Rail Fence. Of course, this is hardly anything new-however-like any basic block-playing with a new setting creates a different look/pattern. So some straight forward fun to be had. These blocks will finish at 9 inches. Of course, you will note I managed to come up with a maverick block. Note, I said simple, but certainly not free from human error *vbs*

The fun of getting together with quilt friends is sharing these jokes and teaching a technique that is new to someone else. I did a one on one string block lesson with one of the newest gals to join us. She was the only one that remembered my offer from the previous month! So, we cut a few phone pages into six and a half inches and I showed her a basic method of putting a strip on the diagonal and adding from the middle out, and the same thing to the other side...trim and we had one cute square. I gave my sample to another gal to take home as her visual lesson to copy.

I always think I have so much more I want to learn as a quilter- and then I meet a new quilter-and realize how far I have come in just seven years...I still think I have lots to learn-but then, what would be the fun in life if we stopped learning?

I promised myself I would not stay up all hours-tomorrow I have non quilty stuff that needs my clear head and focused energy. Seems like many of you had a good day-some quilty, some not.

Life is Good:

Zoe (the boxer dog) sleeping in

fresh baked oatmeal raisin cookies

more daffodils blooming each morning

unconditional love

7 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Love your over the fence..fence rails...*VBG* And please, at least all the right sides of the fabric are facing up, right?? So not the worst error to make...like there are degrees of error...*G*

Even when I think I have ALL the kinks worked out, I can manage to put one or two pieces in upside down...ah yes, the world unfolds as it should...

Havd a great day while your head is clear...those days and tasks are needed also. Hugs, Finn

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

At least you know now how it might look if you reversed the colors deliberately. Who knows? That might be even be one of the variations in the book--half one way, half the other?

I think no matter where we are on our quilting learning curve there is always something that we can pass on to someone else. Good that you got your new member off on the string trail--great use of scraps and you can do so much with the resulting blocks.

catch you back on quilting when the home tasks are finished up--more letters with background on the wonky village perhaps?

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Oh, I love daffodils. And your block.

I hope you have a nice day. I'm glad you're having to think instead of me. LOL.

Darilyn

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I love Rail Fence quilts in all variations.

I'm also working on a string quilt but it may become two string quilts because I saw a picture of a quilt in the book Liberated Strings that was made of hourglass blocks. So last night at 12:30AM I had to get out of bed and try some of them. Now I have to decide if I'm going to make two quilts out of the blue strings or just piece all the string blocks I've made into hourglass blocks. I like the look of both and have lots of blue strips still on the floor so I'm leaning toward both patterns.

My quilts seem to be coming in two's this year.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Which one of these is not like the other one?

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those blocks are fun! it sounds like you had a great time with your quilt group!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Pam said...

You can call it, "Over and Under the Fence" I had to really look to see the Maverick..but you know me...I am not the most observant person in the world.

That is my kinda quilt, quick-easy-done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home