Thursday, May 11, 2006

featured quilter: Jo Barry


Isn't this great? It's just such a down home and snuggly quilt. Jo also made a few quilts featuring silks she collected over in Hong Kong...amazing quilts-but, I did not take any photos of those-I think I just preferred to stick to the more tradional ones of hers.



I didn't note the details on this one other than I was enthralled with the tiny hand quilting done on this quilt. I did ask Jo permission to take these photos..and she was happy to say yes.






Ok..down to the last photos of the NW Quilter's Guild show-Jo Barry also belongs to the guild I do and in fact designed our last guild raffle quilt. She is by her own admission: a self taught quilter with a few classes here and there. Her work is best described as traditional-a scrap quilter and usually works on one project at a time until completed. She is a hand quilter-and has entered national and international juried and judged competitions. She does amazing work in my opinion and is a totally delightful person as well.


This quilt is called Square of the Hypotenuse. Jo chose to make it in batiks only, scrap format, no repeats, basic one-patch, and with overlays. Hand pieced and hand quilted, it was juried into Quilt Festival at Houston, 2005.

And so ends the photos of this quilt show...

6 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Thanks again for the quilt show! I love that batik quilt... The unusual angle, etc. I also like the top on that has a plaid look... I really like the way there are all ligth blocks on the edge for a "border." When you see Jo, please tell her that I liked her quilts!

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love these quilts of Jo's you shared! Thank you so much! That round triangle compass one is TO DIE FOR!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Those Jo Barry quilts definitely have the "WOW" factor going!! Hard to belive that the Square of...is a charm quilt. Who on earth could have or collect that many batiks???? Again..WOW! Love the quilt...maybe liking the top pic the best..I've already forgotten it's name..LOL Thanks for sharing such great quilts with us, Hugs, Finn

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Hanne said...

Thanks for sharing all the quilts - all the inspiration :-)

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Great quilts. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Darilyn

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

Something is happening to me as I find myself more and more drawn to very simple designs. I LOVE the squares and rectangles quilt. Just really speaks to me. Colors are marvelous in it. Tell Jo thank you and gorgeous work. (and thank you too for posting!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home