Sunday, October 01, 2006

charity quilting day


This may look familiar, it is the other half of a donated top I split and now this one too is quilted- the same way-but with a scrappy binding.










This was a shop sample given to our group-I quilted it and bound it last night/today. I am washing it as there were a few spots on the backing I used that should wash out. It's flannel top and back...with batting-cotton binding.
it's about 44 1/2 inches by 62. Thimbleberries...it will certainly keep some child very warm!

We had a very small turn out and I broke 3 or 4 needles trying to stitch binding onto the flannel quilt before giving up and taking the machine over to another shop for repair. The many layers of fabric when I was doing the corners was just impossible for my little Gem..poor thing. I finished it up at home on my faithful Bernina. I also stitched two more labels on other donated quilts and took photos of all 23 finished quilts-except for the flannel one. I will take a regular photo of it for our album. That will bring the total up to 24 finished quilts since spring for our group. We have had so many members be busy with other life events this year-it's been our lowest number of quilts since we started 5 years ago. I know I will be taking a break except for our challenge quilt to work on personal projects needing to be completed before the year ends.


















7 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

reagrdless of the number it is good that your doing charity quilts... :-)

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Tazzie said...

Good for you on spending time quilting for charity. It warming for little bodies ... and it warms the heart.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

My Little Boy just adores any flannel or fleece backed quilt/blanket. Now, I have to make him some little flannel pillowcases for his baby pillow because he doesn't like a cold pillow! Some child will be very happy with that quilt!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Fiona said...

Although your turn out was low, at least you got finished quilts. Evelyn is right, kids love anything soft to the touch.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

You should update the number in your post--you sent a bunch with Pam to Mexico, right?

I like the layout of the Bowtie with the crossing patterns. See me wondering just how that went together?? Pieced four patches and diagonal corners, to be sure.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Love your Bowtie, Cher! That green is awesome.

I think your group has done very well with the charity quilts. Remember...if everyone would give just one...then oh, what an accomplishment that would be!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Shelina said...

That is sweet of you to continue to dedicate yourself to this project even though other people are dropping out. I think 23 is still a good showing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home