Tuesday, January 29, 2008

weekend results (#3 off the list!)


Sunday I put the binding and label on my first ufo finish for 2008. I continue to play with my free motion quilting- some of it looks pretty good, some of it not so much! I came across a free motion pre-flight check list here and appreciated the reminders on it. I also printed off some free motion design ideas-the inspiration from looking at them works for me-I prefer to not mark and try and follow any pattern-rather I go with the flow, so to speak. When you are quilting on a regular sewing machine (DSM) you can't see a huge amount of your quilting area so trying to follow any pattern can be challenging. Sunday afternoon I worked on bringing some order to the chaos in the messy corner in here. I made some visible progress and came across 3 fabrics that worked together I had culled from the donation bags we get for our charity group. Time to do something with them. See? I am sewing some of this mess up! I was able to cut strips and do some sewing -I am making another disappearing nine patch top. Once the top is together (last night I got it to the nine patch block stage) I will put up a photo. I can tell you right now the fabric is going to be the quilting inspiration-when you see it, you will know right away what I mean. We are meeting this Sunday and I put aside a few donated tops that need more added to them to be large enough for the size we aim for. One is fabric I absolutely do not have any of in my house-30's reproduction. Someone else may and they can have the fun of playing with it. If not, Linda, expect it to come your way! Another top was all applique- I am sending that to another quilter that does charity work-this just won't work for the children we stitch for. I think there is one more top in there that also can be handed off to someone else. Really, I don't need to hog all the fun of playing with these donated tops!
I have many containers of strips and scraps in here. I also unearthed a stack of foundation squares I cut for a fall retreat and managed to sew one strip on each square before it was buried back in a basket. It's hard to say what I will tackle next, but, I sure have plenty right here to chose from! And, I have Alice's Valentine quilt waiting to be quilted too. February is right around the corner...in fact Friday it will be here. Oh my. My cold has been annoying but I am not allowing it to slow me down too much. I hear those nine patch blocks calling to be cut up-off I go-there is time before going to work this morning to get that part done. You all have a great day and thanks for stopping on by.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Hunter said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love the red border. It so beautifully ties all the squares together.

I hope to have a finished object some year. It may be sooner than I planned on since the Hex Charm is actually going together much faster than I expected. I will put another pic up this week sometime. I noticed that I got a completely different view of the quilt when I looked at the picture. Duh.

Take care and I'm sending healthy vibes your way.

Purrs and hugs.
Darilyn and Tigger

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Those colds sure can linger and make us miserable--got my fingers crossed that we make it through this winter without one month of misery like we had in late 06. (Thanks to Herb, LOL)

I love how that quilt came together. #3 for the year is darned good. You must be setting a good example for the UFO challenge you are in charge of, Cher.

You know me and 30's stuff. If you can't find a local taker than send it on. I've got the stuff to go with it.

This month has certainly whizzed on by that it could possibly be time for the Portland Piecers to be meeting again. I will probably forget what day it is and wonder where the heck you are come chat time, LOL.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Congrats on the finish! I love the border fabric you chose for this one! Excellent machine quilting--I admire anyone who machine quilts on a DSM because it is not an easy task to do!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

This is a great quilt! I really like the layout of all these blocks with the sashing and two wide borders. I also love the Star Light Star Bright quilt in the previous post. The yellow star points look fabulous against that blue. Nice work on the finishes!

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Good job! You can't possibly be hogging all the fun because I've gotten a bunch of donation tops recently - I'm SO behind in spite of all the ones I've finished this month.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Patti said...

What a pretty little Christmas quilt! I don't remember seeing this before. Well done - getting a few UFO's out of the way.

So sorry that you are under the weather once again this winter. It's been a hard winter for many people I know when I comes to staying healthy.

I really like how your winter four seasons swap quilt turned out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home