Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Koi top completed


I have been putting in time morning and night to get this top done. It measures 85 inches by 90 .5 inches...good size120 for a bed quilt. As you will note, it doesn't really fit all that well up on the design wall- sorry, it is the best I could do tonight. This is all fabric from BJ's Quilt Shop in Bend Oregon- bought July 11th with this in mind.
I designed the quilt around the Koi center fabric-straightening out the edges and using it intact. Our friend Denise built the hugest koi pond in the state of Utah by our estimation. What better fabric to make a quilt for her from?
I made Denise a quilt years ago and she always said she needed another one-what a surprise this will be when it shows up. Since D retired, my sweetie has been driving out to spend a few weeks of vacation with her each year. I am thrilled this quilt will be ready to send along with her. I have to piece a back for it next. There is some of the smaller koi fabric left- that will get used up and I just need to raid the stash and see what else I can put together.
I will drop off with my longarm gal and she will fit it in around her other 25 quilts...lucky me. I admit, I am not overly fond of making huge quilts much anymore-but I seem to average about 2 or 3 a year despite myself.
I did spend time during the weekend hand quilting on the K project..once I decided on the color of perle cotton and where to begin. I have my booty swap project up next. I came up with another idea over the weekend and want to play around with that idea. Sometimes it takes more time to decide what you want to do, than doing it!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:40 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Congrats on the top finish, Cher! Looking good and Denise is sure to enjoy this one for some time to come.

Will be watching to see what you come up with for your booty swap. So many ideas flit through our minds that it is hard to narrow that down sometimes or worse, we have no clue what to do. (Speaking from experience and round robins on that last part--I was mulling how you could stencil letters instead of fusing them when I woke up.)

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Gina said...

I love the quilt. I'm so gald you didn't cut into that wonderful centre fabric. your friend is going to love it.

Love and hugs gina xxx

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Wow! That is a gorgeous quilt! I love the koi fabric.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Fantastic! I know you have been working hard to get KOI to the flimsy stage~not much longer and it will be a Finish! Congrats on a job well done :)

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger swooze said...

Very nice. I want to do a Koi quilt one day. I am anxious to get to my new projects soon!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Great quilt, Cher! You have got the top finished in record time! I am sure this quilt will be appreciated and treasured for a long time! I love that large print!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home