Tuesday, August 10, 2010

later that month of April

I became ill around the end of April- and with many ups and downs took a break from blogland..and much of my regular life too.

July 13th I ended up having my left shoulder surgery to deal with bone spurs and a rotator cuff repair-cause? wear and tear...sheesh...body parts wear out ! and I am not all that old in my opinion- doctor said I must have really been an active person...well...right...but...still...dang. Have been living with a sling 24/7 since surgery and my last day is the 24th of this month-August. Meanwhile PT is making me a grumpy person...drugs really do not deal with that sort of torture...trust me. I do my exercises and push as hard as I can and bargain with the guy to not wrench my arm around quite so much.

It was lots easier dealing with my broken hand. I know that means the memory has aged, because it wasn't much fun either.

Been playing computer games over at facebook and reading a lot. At least I knew to do a lot of cutting of fabric prior to surgery and once my left arm can be used "actively" I can get back to sewing seriously on a short term time wise. Since surgery I basically can use only my right hand and no lifting beyond a pound with it. It's nice to not have to feel guilty about doing any chores etc...but I do miss not being able to drive. I am hoping this weekend to try driving with my sling on...as I have been off pain meds long enough and as long as I feel comfortable the doctor said I could try driving. Not sure if I will feel up to it or not however. It's amazing how tired I can get.

Went back to work full time on the 26th and who knows when I will actually catch up? But, I keep plugging away. I am using my laptop without any photo ability but, will post a photo when I am able to get to the "big" computer and upload a photo of me in my sling. not nearly as pretty as my purple cast.

ok..have checked in and it's time to go do exercises and shower...oh...a thrilling evening huh?

You all quilt a bit more for me ok?






Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:20 AM, Blogger Clare said...

Oh you poor thing. I didn't realist it was that bad! Just goes to show how much attention I pay to these sort of things.

I will quilt a bit more foryou when I finally get round to doing some.

Hugs
xxx

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if your arm is in a sling, it is against the law to drive..... my rotary cuff adventure took six months to get better, had about given up it would ever be back to normal and one day realized it was very close to where I started. Lift one pound interesting - as I could not lift my arm..... thanks for hanging in today as that was alot of typing - unless you went with the dictation method.... any way you will be back to sewing one dayl.... heal up.....

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

Been missing you, and wondered how things were going. This sure has been a long haul for you - prayers that you'll get better soon!!!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

all sounds miserable, Cher. keep doing those exercises and HEAL and feel much better soon!!!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

You are doing great, Cher! When i could stand the pain and move my wrist enough to just barely touch the steering wheel with that hand, I drove with one arm. I don't think it is against the law or one armed people would be denied licenses and people without arms, and even without feet can drive with modifications. It is all challenging and it all hurts. I did way too much because I felt I had to. You are blessed to have M. there to help you. I had no help for me. I WAS the help for my parents and being a one armed cook, cleaner, laundry lady, and giving insulin shots to my mom was very hard. But it all sure teaches us a lot about ourselves and how we cope. I am so grateful to be so much stronger and better now. I did all of my own PT and I was hard enough on myself but no torture was allowed. I ended up better than the dr. said I would so I figure I must have been good enough..haha. So, glad you are blogging again. And in no time, your beautiful fabric creations will be pouring out of that creative mind/body connection again!!! Keep healing...inside and out. We all missed you. A lot!!!!

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

I'm sorry, Cher---I didn't realize that you had posted so no wonder I had so many questions this weekend.

Keep plugging, gf. "Torture" doesn't sound like any fun but you NEED to have that PT to regain the use of your shoulder. Easy for me to say, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home