Sunday, June 23, 2013

current project...not a quilt

I finished my 4th donation quilt and mailed off all four last Friday.  My goal is a quilt a month-so I am still short by 2.  With that off my plate, I decided to tackle copying my all time favorite potholder (bought on a fabulous cruise to Mexico with my mom about 20 years ago!) As you can see from the photo, the old potholder is in very, very sad shape!













I have a small very special stash of ethnic fabrics...some from Mexico and some from Peru.  I made myself chose one piece to cut into for this project.

It was easy to find go with solids as I have over the last few years been adding to that particular group.  I then took apart the sad potholder enough to determine exactly how it was made.  

Resorting to the kitchen cupboards, I rummaged around until I found the right size plate for the full circle shape I needed and then had to hunt down a smaller circle size-finally the bowl featured in the photo was "just right".

I have saved some similar "stuffing" as what was used in the original potholder knowing one day  I would make new ones.  Check off that item.

Of course the final step was to make bias binding.  I turned to google and found a suitable online tutorial, but, had to contact my FAB pal Linda for additional support.  Of course she came immediately to the rescue!  Thank you Linda.  

So, this morning I have everything ready to do the actual sewing.  I am only making one for now, however, if it proves to be as wonderful as the original I will certainly add to our collection.

Next up: press out the wrinkles in a pinned quilt for Alice.  Her birthday is in 4 days...so quilting and binding will be what I will be doing.  I have the binding already made, just need to whip up a cute label.  Of course I also need to decide how I want to quilt it.  

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Congratulations on the donation quilt finish!!!

There definitely is no mileage left in the old potholder. I love the colours in the fabric that you are using for the replacement potholder. Using the favorite old potholder as a springboard/idea for the new potholder is a great idea. Using some of the favorite fabric from your stash means you will be able to enjoy it every day in the new project. Too often we hesitate to cut into that favorite piece of fabric--but really, why not use it so you can enjoy it?

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

What gorgeous fabric so no wonder you wanted to selvage the idea and use some precious stash to make another.

You know I almost took apart a little thread holder the other day---and I still might--- unless someone has instructions. Thing is really cute and it might be something we could do for a make and take deal.

Glad I could help in one small way with the bias binding. I see now why you weren't just going with the regularly cut kind.

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kitchen utensils, that's my style of making circles too. A very good use for favorite fabric.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

That is sure going to be a gorgeous potholder! What a treasure the old one is, but it's definitely on the tired side. :) What a great use for some special fabric - you get to enjoy it every day.

Good luck on the quilting for Alice. I think deciding what to quilt is just about the hardest part of making a quilt. Do share when you've finished!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home