Thursday, April 13, 2006

what I am doing this afternoon


I finally pinned these on and started stitching. This is for a friend of mine in our small quilt group...though the colors work for me :-)

There is a two part center that goes on after these petals. I have two of these blocks to do-though another month to finish them up in.

I am not an applique girl...although I do see the charm of doing it-and truly appreciate the gorgeous work done by so many quilters.

Last night I joined a knitting group and worked on a project. It was relaxing and fun. I really enjoy knitting-I learned as a small child from my grandma and always enjoyed doing it off and on growing up. I learned to crochet at the same time-now my grandma could do those complicated crochet thread doilies and bedspreads. I have the double bed size one she made for my mom's wedding gift. Of course, my mom hated it. I thought it quite the treasure though I managed to spill candle wax on it :-( - as a teenager I was careless about stuff like that. My aunt also does wonderful crochet and I have a piece she made-my heirloom as she calls it. She made each of us family members something special a few years ago when she first had cancer. Today she is having surgery to remove a lobe of her lungs as it developed a spot of cancer on it. And, today marks the first birthday of my mom since she passed. It has not been a happy day. The gray skies above pretty much sum up my feelings. So....working on this cheery applique is my antidote to those feelings. I am ok with feeling sad, do not misunderstand...at the same time, I know my mom did not believe in being sad for too long...she was a very upbeat person, joking through her awful parts of chemo and even at the end so sweet with her brother. So, it's happy birthday Mom!

7 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I'm also doing a lot of remembering these days - I lost my father-in-law and my aunt this time last year. It's comforting to me to think about those we've lost.

I also knit and crochet some - mainly afghans in simple patterns and I agree it's very relaxing - even meditative to me.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

I am sure that as their birthdays and other special days in your family roll around it can be a hard time--that and the holidays.

Cher, I hope you post a picture of the whole quilt when you get a chance.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

Sorry about your Mom. Work on the happy stuff - that's a good antidote.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh happy anniversary for your mom. Its nice you have such fond memories. I found I like the applique, but yes, it would be more work than crocheting or knitting! I can't knit but I love crocheting - not that I do it that much - I always tend to go back to quilting!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hugs for the bittersweetness of loss and love remembered. As hard as the partings are, I think there will always be a glow from the love you feel for her.

Admiring your applique undertaking, you are brave...*VBS*

I, too, would love to see that whole quilt from that neat picture.
Hugs, Finn

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Darcie said...

Your sadness only means that you greatly miss her...and appreciate that she's in a painfree place now. Hope you can work through it.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I am thinking of you during today! Cancer has touched so many that we love/have loved. I lost my Mom 7 years ago, Nana 8 and special anniversaries are hard. I have planted their favorite plants in their memory.

Cheers!

Evelyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home