Sunday, August 27, 2006

how I put together my theme scrappy quilts
















I spent my morning pressing and organizing the rest of the scraps and partial parts. We all love visuals to help us see how some quilts get put together. I learned the actual mile a minute pattern a few years ago-our charity group had a day when we all learned and played with the concept-later we had a challenge fabric of leopard faces to make a top from-I took those leftover scraps, leftover scraps from the king size African quilt I made for us, added a few from the wonky village and selected a few more from other scrap containers that I thought worked. When I dumped this bag out I found a pretty good start on this top. So you can see my sewing table layout..what I like to do is build up my "blocks" into a good size and then when they are about 25 by 20 or so..I consider them a "section" I am pretty loose about adding and whacking off to get close to similar sections...this time around I am making some deliberate design element additions. You can see on the design wall the progress made- more of that lime green sprinkled in..some "sashing" around sub sections -it's growing nicely. The start of a third section is at the bottom. An orphan block from the African quilt was in the pile..it was a reject-I clearly goofed and it's poofy-I am going to probably throw it in the mix and quilt it out - I folded over my wonky village to make room to play with this latest project. My ostrich round robin block is on there-I deferred to sweetie input and put that neutral around it-plus on the far right you will see the log cabin block for my guild's outgoing chairperson and the guild's next quarterly winnings selection block. I may make more of them, these I wouldn't mind winning!
I won some of the first year's blocks that have a Christmas theme...old ufo's waiting for inspiration. I now never enter any unless I am interested in winning. the small blocks below those two are waiting to become something..I have one over the other, so you only see one block with some color behind it. You will also note I keep a few other items on my sewing table..the jar and vase came from my nona's collection of knick knacks..the jar holds my ufos on pieces of paper to be pulled when I am ready to tackle the next one. It makes it more of a game to do it that way for me-whatever inspires you right? At any rate, above the sorted piles of partial blocks is the small amount of fabric I will cut and add to what I am working with-so you get an idea of what I am trying to use up. I will go to my African stash bin of yardage to pull for borders if I feel I need to add them, the backing and binding-so that will use a bit more stash up. All of these scraps however, will only eliminate one measly 2.5 gallon zip lock bag. You have to work hard to use up enough scraps to notice a real dent!
I need to track down a holder for the wonky village...I have a few ideas...guess I need to follow up now that I am back to having a few projects up on the design wall...I need the space!

14 Comments:

At 3:45 AM, Blogger Gail said...

So many interesting projects going on here. You really have to see the enlarged photo to appreciate the African mile a minute-what great fabrics you have in it.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow, you have a very inspiring wall there! So many different, fun projects! I like to work on several projects at a time too and rotate around, but then sooner or later I get to my least favorite part on all of them (borders!). I love the piecing together stage!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Thanks for the pictures. I am definitely a "visual" learner and appreciate seeing what someone is talking about. I agree with you, that you have to work hard to use up enough scraps to notice a real dent! I think though, they reproduce in the dark of the night as well--that is why we can never get ahead of them!

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

the lime green you're using really works well! I love how it "feels" scattered in the various sections like that.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Your ostrich block is looking really great!!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Wow Cher, I'm impressed!! Having even 2.5 gallon bag of scraps pressed and ready to go is wonderful..*VBS*

I can see now how you make your wonky sections. I know you told me you did it, section by section...but somehow that didn't computer in my brain...LOL Must be I'm a visual person..*G*
You are far, far more organized at it than I am. Seems like I run tons of 2 X 2 pieces through the machine before I stop and begin adding a third piece to each one. And of course I'm only aiming for 6.5" so it doesn't take tooooo long. But then I'd need quite a few of those to make one of your sections. Interesting...I may just give your way a try one of these days..*VBS* Hugs, Finn

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Fiona said...

Really interesting to see how you put together a scrap top - I love your method of choosing what to work n next by picking the ticket out of the jar.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

I'm debating setting my Ostrich on point now too... I think this is the time in it's 'life' (24 inches square) where I'd want to do it. :)

Interesting that we both came to that conclusion!

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Shelina said...

Thanks for sharing your sewing room. I like being able to see what projects you are working on - things you're willing to keep out in the open. I work with lots of different things at the same time.
I really like the African fabric medley. One day I want to be free enough to do something like that.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

thanks for sharing photos of your sewing room. You certainly have lots of projects to keep you busy.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

I love seeing photos of people's work areas-I'm a studio junkie. :)
And I like your idea of the jar to pick projects. I'm still working on my sewing room, will have to find a spot for a design wall
Thanks for the ideas.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

You said: All of these scraps however, will only eliminate one measly 2.5 gallon zip lock bag.

I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you Cher: They multiply during a full moon. Yes...it's true. ;-)

Terrific projects in the works there, Cher! Thanks for sharing the *method to your madness!*

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Granny said...

Thanks for sharing that with us. I love that quilt and am amazed at how you came up with it all. It's so perfect!

Judy L.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Love your design wall. I learned from you theme scrap selections. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home