Saturday, August 26, 2006

what I am currently playing with

I had to pull some of this scrap stash/leftover parts of blocks to send some to a fellow quilter-and decided as long as they were on the sewing table..what a great easy mindless project they could be for today. So, in between chatting and reading-I have been stitching pieces together until I got to this point-it's 23 by 28...three sections so far. oh, inches that is. there will be a bit more of that bright green showing up...the last tiny bits left over from wonky village. My plan is to keep adding until the pile on the table is gone..and it's already about a third to half gone now. I have to admit, I may pull from the several scrap baskets around me...I am getting tired of just these fabrics! These are what I consider crumb blocks or leftover mile a minute blocks..or whatever you like to call this style. What I like best is the diagonal design I added...an expansion from vertical/horizontal rut. I am building around the leopard face...the last piece from a two year ago challenge our charity group did. More than likely this quilt will end up being big enough to add to the charity heap I am collecting. One African fabric bed quilt is enough for this house! and let's not think about wall hangings...as I have to admit, there probably could be room made :-)

13 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Cathi said...

I really really love the colors and fabrics on this African quilt! Can I have it, LOL? Just kidding! I love how scraps of fabric can turn into something beautiful so quickly.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

looking good there--I like the inclusion of the jungle prints and know you have a lot leftover from your wonky village foray to use.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

I love making the mile a minute / crumb blocks too! These blocks use up every last bit of stuff we have laying around.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

My scrap heap over-flow-eth too, but I am not as brave as you are when it comes to sewing everything together. Great top - the little bit of diagonal green is perfect!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Wow! What size was that sewing bug that bit you??
Must have made an impression! I love the scrap play...all the better for having all those marvelous African prints tucked in. And I love the "faces"...your leopard is great..I like little surprises like that when I'm not expecting it..*VBS* Very big hugs, Finn

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

these scraps go so well together... Way to play :-)

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger ForestJane said...

Pretty cool!

I didn't notice the face till you said something about it - this would almost make an adult level I Spy quilt... :)

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

You are going to have to think of a really cool name for this one...
Melanie

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

I guess I'd call it utility blocks/piecing. I always, always love the work you do in this fashion. Looks like so much more fun to sew on than the straight lines I'm stuck with at them moment.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Looks like great fun, Cher! I love working in the mindless state, myself too...it's like cheap therapy! Sounds like a great way to use up those theme fabrics too...just ending when they're gone!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

aDoesn't it just feel good to play?!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Susan said...

It's going to be a great scrappy! I do like the bit of lime green going through, too.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I love mindless piecing also but I do string type rather than crumb quilts. It really satisfies the frugal person who lives inside of me to use all those leftover bits and pieces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home