Sunday, January 07, 2007

Happy 2007


I am happy to be able to put up a quilt photo..at last. It's the African scrappy from last November? I think that is when it was a finished top. It was pinned waiting to be quilted and somehow it got buried in the "messy corner threatening to take over the entire sewing room" pile.
I was looking for lost rulers and excavated it! As I also had another quilt waiting in the same color way-and wanted to hand it over tomorrow so she could bind it-I buckled down tonight (very late start, naturally) and was able to quilt both quilts. Being on a roll, I trimmed and attached the binding on the African scrappy quilt. I did what I have taken to calling zoom lines-pretty much straight lines with a quilting foot. When I get bored doing straight lines, I throw in a few leaning ones or curving ones. At any rate, it's done, labeled and ready to donate to WrapThemInLove. Our group meets tomorrow and it will be nice to have something finished for a change. Our group gave 84 quilts last year. Our group is pretty much 5 of us doing the majority of the quilts-with stray donations from folks who hear about us. I love showing up and finding donated quilts-that's the best, second to that is nice donated fabric, and my least favorite is donated fabric that we can not use for quilts. I manage to find a home for that. Tomorrow I plan on doing more cutting-I am working on making up kits, and have promised one to a gal in Texas-I should be able to finish the cutting for at least that kit plus I want to cut up lots of strips to use in the HeartStrings project. As soon as I heard Mary mention it-I was in. I have made one block thus far too. So...after a pretty long break from quilting-I can enjoy many hours of at least cutting fabric tomorrow. I probably will take my machine and do some string blocks too. I don't want to stand all day cutting after all.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Love your African Scrappy. It's amazing what we can find when you start tidying up our quilt areas. Have fun cutting. One of my favorite parts of quilting is getting everything cut out and in neat little stacks all ready to sew up into something pretty. Wierd I know. LOL!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Pam said...

TADA!!! Good for you! Once you get going you really make progress, African Scrappy will make some little guy very happy...there is lots to see in this quilt. Congrats on your first 2007 finish.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hey GF, it's sooo good to see your post again!!
I had thought maybe that mess caved in on you!!!

Love the african scrappy and a HUGE hurray for getting two quilted and binding attached..no small feat. Sounds like all my favorite quilters are gathering steam for 2007...I am wiggling with antcipation..*VBG* Hugs, Finn

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I can't believe you got them both quilted! The string quilt project is such fun! I can't believe how many blocks people have already made. I made 2 more today in honor of Nancy's birthday and may get another 2 done tonight. That will make 20 for me and I'll send them off to Sue to be combined with other blocks. Once I quilt a top for my Mom - I have 2 string UFO tops ready for quilting too!

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

Great utility quilt. I LOVE seeing how you use your strings. You are generous as always.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Susan said...

The African Scrappy looks great all finished! I enjoyed your description of quilting on it, too. =)

Those strings are addictive, watch out!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

I love those zings of bright green in there. I already know that you stayed up late to get those finished--you come by your blog name quite naturally as you know, LOL. So two finishes already--that's great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home