Thursday, December 20, 2007

my idea of a six hour quilt


I left work a bit early- but by the time I drove through unbelievable traffic and stopped for a latte- well, I hardly got home all that early! Still it was nice to walk Zoe in some daylight, rather than the pitch dark another hour brings. I decided I wanted to whip up a purple small quilt for a co-worker's granddaughter. She would need to have it by tomorrow. No problem right? I pulled fabric, put back fabric, pulled some more until I was happy. I sat down and did a quick sketch of the blocks and placing I wanted. I ironed, cut fabric, and stitched away. As you can see, I chose a very simple pattern idea. I used some of my favorite Laurel Burch fabric and the turquoise I found that would match it so well (bought with this in mind)- and used the purple leftover from another quilt I am finishing the hand binding stitching on. The backing is some deep purple with bright medium size pink flowers...flannel nice and snuggly. She wanted it only 36 inches by 36 inches...and I did all the binding by machine. I finished before midnight-with an hour or so off watching a movie we decided was a dud. In case you need to know, that movie would be Once.
Some great music...but....the story kept jumping around and was very difficult to follow-we gave up. I even stitched batting together for this quilt. Not a huge amount of stash busted, but, still it all came from the fabric room and it's done. If she doesn't like it, I will add it to the charity pile. oh, I figure this quilt pretty much took about six hours -not bad! I even used up the leftover binding from the other quilt, although I had to add another equal amount to make it work for this one.

side note: I have come up with a great idea for the winter swap wall hanging ....I can hardly wait to start playing with what I have come up with! have you ever noticed how much brighter and vivid the stars seem during winter?

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

That is quite an achievement! Only one evening to whip up a quilt! Your co-worker is going to think you are magic! I love that Laurel Burch fabric!

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Perfect pattern for the perfect fabric! You are setting the bar pretty high for your future projects!

I'll have to remember "What Not To Rent." I usually pick the duds...thanks for the heads-up.

Merry Christmas!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

What a great idea and great quilt. Isn't it nice to start and finish something in a few hours for a change?!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

Winter is the best time for viewing the stars and planets, at least around here. Not as many clouds. Love the little 6-hour quilt.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Pretty quilt and -wow- in only six hours! Wishing you the best Christmas, Cher!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Your six hour quilt is pretty. Great job!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

Really cute, Cher! I've noticed that it's these kind of baby quilts that are the cutest and it's perfect for throwing over one of those carrier things or a baby carseat. I love that made it so quickly and that you posted the time for us...I'm always wondering how longs quilts take others! Happy Holidays to you and yours! Zoe too!!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

You are kidding! There is such a thing as a 6 hour quilt??? I thought it was a myth. I could see it if you had it all cut out and ready to sew but you are fast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home