Friday, April 04, 2008

what sort of quilt am I ? evolving!

I have been reading around and loved Finn's post on what kind of quilt you are-or what quilts you like making the best...something like that. Food for thought. My introduction to quilting was actually hand piecing a baby puzzle ball. It's packed away somewhere I am sure. The next quilting "class" was a log cabin pillow quilt as you go. That pillow has long since been worn out and thrown away. We are talking 32 to 27 years ago! I loved the idea of quilting but back then, there were few or no books-and I lived in a small town where I had no idea how to come across local quilters. I went on to make a baby quilt for a friend and a queen size quilt for my mom. Fast forward about 20 years or so and I finally found a co-worker that quilted. She taught me a few things and then moved away. It wasn't until 1999 that I found the internet and online quilting lists. In 2000 I took 3 quilting classes (one a beginners-nine patch/rail fence pattern) all had 9 patch blocks in them. One had 3 inch finished nine patch blocks! Hard to believe 8 years later I am an obsessed quilter and appreciate how far I have come since those early days.
My quilting reflects my personality frequently- I am open to try new things and some I really enjoy, some not so much! Often now I just do my own thing. If everyone is doing a pattern, I am more likely now not to want to jump on that bandwagon. If I am going to enter a quilt in a guild show (right now the very idea of a serious quilt show entry is too terrifying) I want it to be my own design. I certainly do follow and enjoy many patterns -I have a shelf full of books and a box filled with printed off patterns to try. I have friends who cajole me into making a pattern with them. I like being flexible in my quilting and enjoy much more just playing around with ideas and fabrics. Thanks to Finn and Tonya, I have regained my interest in and found joy in doing hand quilting. Most of the time, I machine quilt as I want that quilt finished right away. However, I miss hand quilting and I am mulling over which quilt I want to invest that time in.
Currently I am doing NOTHING quilty. I have one last tax return to do and I am stalling on that as well. Most of my energy is going into establishing a new habit of working out at a new gym I joined. I am still exhausted from yesterday's experience :-) We have a concert to go to tonight- Carrie Newcomer if you are a singer/song writer fan-tomorrow there is a guild quilt show I want to go to (and may miss) that evening dinner with dear friends, and Sunday-charity group sewing day plus NCAA women's basketball final four games to enjoy. It's supposed to rain this weekend-earlier in the week I finally came home and planted everything that was waiting in pots except the two rose bushes. So, gardening is not really on the to do list for the weekend-good!
A fun weekend but not a lot of down time for playing in the sewing room. I pulled some of the fabric for my next project and it sits on my sewing table. I am just letting the quilting come to me when I am ready. Meanwhile, it's a work day and it's time to move along with getting ready to leave the house.

I think right now I am an evolving quilter-happy doing a variety of tried and true blocks, branching out to do some free form type piecing , and then...who knows what else may catch my imagination and inspire me?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger jacquie said...

It was fun to read your quilty history! I think it's great to be "evolving". I think that's where I am too.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Val said...

I enjoyed reading your history of quilting. I am just learning to quilt and that gives me such hope. I hope I can do as good as you one day. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I think my style has evolved to the point that I would describe myself as a traditional scrap quilter.

I'm also not a show quilter but I agree that I wouldn't want to enter a quilt I made according to a pattern if I decided to enter a show. I like taking traditional blocks and creating my own quilt.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting any quilting done either.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Evolving is a good thing to be, Cher.

Cajole you? Hey, it is fun! We are such terrible influences, I know. Looking forward to our next session.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger McIrish Annie said...

Cher, Bet you are happy about the Stanford Girls! Though I am sorry that UConn lost, I am happy for Stanford. They deserve it. Hope they kick the Lady Vols' butts!!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hey Cher, great post! Glad to hear I gave you something to think about, always a good thing *VBS*
I love your final paragraph...the evolving quilter reference...fits nicely. You, probably more so than myself, but then we are in different quilting age groups as well, and I think that also makes a difference. Hugs, Finn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home