Friday, March 14, 2008

National Quilting Day


I was well enough yesterday to go into work late and on to a co-worker's baby shower at the end of the work day. She received many, many gorgeous things-however, I was the only one to give a handmade gift. I took my camera to snap a photo -it's nice to see someone enjoy opening a gift you made. Her husband is a mechanic so the one side of flannel with the cars and trucks and other vehicles was a hit. {click to enlarge photo-sorry you can not really see the vehicle side} I included a set of instructions on how to swaddle your baby as well - it has been my experience that none of the women her age seem to know anything about doing that. I know they wrap up babies in the hospital in that manner, but, somehow the value of doing that is not communicated to new parents. The gal I made one for six months ago is still using hers and said her baby loves that blanket best! How sweet that was to hear. The plush super soft blankets that they have to buy in stores seem so popular, I am never sure how a flannel homemade blanket will compare. For anyone interested-the website I found my directions is here.
Tomorrow is National Quilting Day.
I am part of a virtual retreat tomorrow to celebrate by quilting as much of the day as I am able.
I have been working on a stack of string blocks and of course I still have several quilts waiting to be quilted-those are the projects I want to make progress on tomorrow. My sweetie said, I spent last Saturday quilting all day-and now I am going to spend another Saturday doing it again ? I think my response went along the lines of I consider the whole month a good quilting month.
Truthfully, the joy I experience from my quilting is well appreciated by my sweetie-I think we all prefer to live with happy partners! I want to say thanks for the many kind comments on my 'flu battle-this bug seems to keep being passed along in our area since last December or so-and keeps popping back in another guise. As you may relate, I am so tired of feeling tired! And, I noticed all the cherry trees have flowered and our daffodils have bloomed-must have been that day I spent down for the count! If the sun comes back, I will snap a photo to share.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

What a nice gift. I'm sure she really appreciated a handmade one. I've been down with a cold -- I had a flu shot and I refuse to catch any variety of the flu, so it's a cold! I hate losing quilting days to this too! And I'm really jealous that you have blooming trees and flowers -- we're just starting to get rid of the snow pack! Hope you're feeling better soon.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Hard to imagine only one handmade gift at a shower...in my neck of the woods handmade/store purchased come in pretty even...maybe it is our lack of available shopping?

Glad you were feeling better and able to attend the shower, I know you were looking forward to it.

Naomi swaddled the babies and as they grew older she called it "snug as a bug in a rug" Both Maddie and JJ still want to be "rolled up" that way for naps. Makes me smile!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Glad that you got to be there...watching the new Mom enjoy your gift. What a great idea of you to enclose some instructions. How such a simple and important idea is being lost in the get-'em-outta-here-in-a-day routine. I too love seeing Moms tuck in their wee ones, tight.

Glad you're feeling more like yourself, Cher. The sunshine will heal the body and the soul!

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

As a little girl I used to wrap up my dolls that way (Mom showed me how), so it was 2nd nature to wrap Little Boy like that when he was born... even though I brought him home during a heat wave - the A/C in the house made it necessary to keep him wrapped up. I hadn't realized that wrapping babies up had gone by the wayside, but maybe it makes sense in this day and age of constant go-go-go and car seat buckles! Mom had baby beds that clamped on to the back of the bench seat in the car - no buckles. Now - those have certainly gone by the wayside in favor of more safety!!!

Cheers!
Evelyn

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I hope you enjoyed National Quilting Day.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Granny Lyn said...

oh, oh, oh, I love to swaddle a baby and hold her up to my neck with the security, and warmth, and baby smells. All my babies loved it, then as they grew, I "tucked them in tight" for bedtime, and they were such good sleepers.

Thanks for bringing all the precious feelings back to us!
and thanks for visiting my lil ol' blog
lyn

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

Hooray for seeing a handmade gift appreciated!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger McIrish Annie said...

I love convergence quilts and I'm always surprised by the end result!

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Shelina said...

It seems like it has been a bad winter for a lot of people - that flu bug is nasty. I hope you feel better soon.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

Hope you're better soon. I think most people prefer a homemade gift, especially a quilt. Plus how many storebought gifts would be that personalized (with the vehicles)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home