Tuesday, January 31, 2006

scrappy sections starts


This style of quilt making is probably as old as quilting has been around I am sure-putting together bits and pieces, leftover blocks or trim offs or odd leftover scraps..Evelyn asked how they went together..so I thought I would put up a photo of my design wall with lots of them up-around the wonky house as I have not taken it down and replaced with the scrappy parts that were there...I make them up pretty large and then sort of match sizes. Last time I worked in three sections, although the final quilt doesn't show that approach as without sashings you are hard pressed to find a "block" so to speak. I don't do too much diagonal slicing-though it would add a lot of visual appeal - I find it wastes a lot of fabric- and as these are going away to charity-I want the most for my time on them. You can see more containers next to the bin stuffed with more scraps-those are just from my personal quilting of last year that did not get used up. The flannel scraps are in another bag elsewhere...and the Texas baby scraps are still on the ironing board. I am rapidly approaching the moment of stoppage and the great clean up in here begins.

Today? probably work on those sections and get to a top stage-I could do some quilting on the Texas baby ...need to pull threads out and find the one I think will work-otherwise it's off to buy thread I like for it. I know if this goes to my son and his wife-they will throw it into the washer/dryer and so machine quilting it would be sturdier than hand quilting. I expect my quilts to get hard use, so actually do not expect to do much handquilting on any large quilts I would make -but, I do want to make small ones and do hand quilting on those...

10 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

love how you use your deissgn wall.... must admit to not even being that organized when I put togther leftover/crazy blocks.... I simply trim them to a few set sizes and pull them out of the tub to sew together, never having seen how they look together...

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Granny said...

That is interesting! Be sure to show us a picture when it's done, ok?

What size is your design wall? Looks BIG!

Judy

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Cher, your wonky house looks great!! I'll bet we were working on them at the same time...LOL.

Sorry I can't even remember if I posted at your blog yesterday. It's still a bit fuzzy in Finn-land..*G*

Love how you displayed your m-a-m blocks. I do cut mine to 6.5"(or whatever) and they do go together like regular blocks. I think your way is even more challenging. It looks great by the way!!
Maybe years from now we'll be the Gramma Moees(es) of our time..LOL..make these crazy type quilts. Hugs, Finn

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Opppps, was going to ask you if you are in Stashbusters? I just updated my UFO data and thought I saw you there...yes??

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger  Jeanne said...

The scrappy design wall is wonderful - what a fun place to work!!!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

What a great designwall.. I can't wait to see the quilt finished !!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Debra Dee said...

What a great approach. I am going to do an orpahn quilt sometime in the near future, I hope mine will go as well as yours.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Looks like so much fun Cher! Using your design wall is a great way to do this. How did we get manage before we got design walls! (I know I stood on lots of chairs trying to get "tall" enough to look straight down on my work.)

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

Love how your scrap quilt is going together - think it looks great with the house block in there. Gives me an idea for a quilt...
Hope you keep some of these utility quilts for yourself and don't give em ALL away (which is certainly very generous of you).
And that roof is NOT too large for the house...

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Mmmm - a design wall! I need one of those - I love how you are putting together these quilts! Such a variety of fabrics and all - there must be so many happy memories all sewn in these.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Evelyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home