Sunday, May 28, 2006

cooking tales

Have I mentioned my renewed joy in cooking? no? well, it's true...I have been inspired to do more cooking in the last six months than probably the last six years! When you have to cook for a family it can be just another chore to get over with-and teen age boys are not always the most rewarding to cook for either. At any rate, I took a many years break from doing real cooking. When I was caring for my mom and trying to find anything she could enjoy eating-the only thing she ever liked was something I cooked that I found up in her cupboard. Now-it was something out of a box-but I think the fact that I cooked it, is what made my mom like it. Of course she could only eat about three bites.
She always loved my cooking and it gave her great comfort. I joke about being an Italian mom-always feeding everyone as my way of taking care of them. And, I really enjoyed seeing my elder son go through culinary school and become a chef. Though he chose not to stay in that career-he is an awesome chef and loves to cook for family and friends. We spend lots of time swapping ideas about cooking food. So of course I asked him about something new to try with the pound of fresh salmon I had bought. He suggested a pesto crust and we discussed the best way of making it and which pan works best...you know, all those details. Tonight that salmon was on the menu. And, I have to admit, it was one of the all time best meals I have ever made. And fast... dinner in forty minutes. Earlier in the day I made a new lentil soup recipe - if you have never tried red lentils...let me tell you they are so delicious. So we had a small cup of lentil soup to start our meal and then the salmon with a side of fresh steamed broccoli and an olive roll from a local bakery warm from the oven.
Quilty note: I am still pouring over pattern ideas but will be making a diaper stacker and crib organizer first. The leftovers will go into making the quilt.
Off to watch a movie on the dvd player and hand quilt.

9 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Love lentil soup...and the salmon sound delish!! It's so cool that you are finding your way back into cooking, and in a healthier way.

Now when you say red lentils...are those the same as the reddish brown ones? I have seen green, and believe it or not, orange..not sure about red.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

Wow, that meal sound fabulous. Spicy Red Lentil Soup is an Egyptian favorite and always yummy.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Yum. I hope you have leftover soup for today. I'm off to make potato soup. :)

Darilyn

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Of course, I want to know how to make a pesto crust. Lentils, not so sure but glad you like them, LOL.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Your dinner sounds divine, Cher!

I've been catching up with my blogging.... LOVE your Village! How fun! Great job with the huts and the words!!!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

My son went to culinary school too and is working at the Ritz Carlton. I LOVE cooking with him and he always seems to have some good suggestions for me.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I love to eat, but just don't like to cook. Dang it! Wish I did! Love the finished sleepy village top. Can't wait to see what your longarmer comes up with!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Quilts And Pieces said...

Dinner sounds wonderful - I'll be over!

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum, i want to come over for dinner! so glad cooking can bring you such happiness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home