Wednesday, May 24, 2006

a photo! round robin quilt


Last night was fun! I bought more than I sold-but I am very happy with what I bought. I need to take a better photo before posting that photo.
Here is a round robin I did with a group of online wraptheminlove friends. We started in January of 2005 and when I got this to work on, I was the 2nd to last person-with no stash fabric to go with it.
I headed over to my good friend Amelia's and we raided her stash to come up with suitable fabrics.
Then (keep in mind all that white border begging for applique was not going to be done on my turn!) I started the what to do next ? process. Thanks to Pam and LindaJ cheering and giving feedback and I am sure LJ helping out with her EQ help-here is how it ended up. The last narrow border and outside border blocks are my contribution. The last person decided it was huge, so she quilted and bound it.
Those of us who had worked on it-had our names put into a hat and I was the winner. The joke was-these were so not my colors...please don't let my name be drawn. As it happens however, I was the lucky winner and these are my best friends colors. Ok, several of my close friends have pointed out they also love these colors. But, I needed a finished quilt as a birthday gift for my best friend in Australia and this would be absolutely perfect for her. I think this quilt was finished early in the year but because I delayed getting it any sooner-it is being mailed out today-late but I am sure still welcome on the other end. It has a wonderful print flannel on the back and I just need to add another label noting it is for Tracy. A friend took this photo as the ladies held it up for the guild to see-I may try putting it up on my design wall-but I don't think I will get a better photo than she did. So here is an example of working outside my comfort zone and doing something pretty traditional as well. I have to laugh at not having any go with fabrics from my stash on this-thank goodness for friends willing to share from their huge stash! I will take some close up shots as well- I fussy cut the birds that are featured in the middle of the square in a square blocks. And yes, I fudged those flying geese to make them come out math wise! I think I drew up my own pattern for them or LJ did...believe me, this is the last round robin I am playing in for quite a while. I have to commend all the players-they all did a very beautiful job on their parts. Actually- click on the photo and you will be able to dial in and see much more detail and close ups...

10 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Ah, I remember it well---all that emailing back and forth trying to figure out how to fudge in those flying geese and make things fit. Mom and I were just talking about that center and the first round she applied the other day.

Might not be your colors but I think it turned out wonderfully in spite of that. Tracy is getting a wonderful gift from you.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the round robin quilt looks great! thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

This is beautiful! Lucky you to be the one to take it home.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

So this is the quilt that you mentioned sending off to Australia - lucky friend.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Finn said...

A really spectacular quilt, and such a wonderful effort on your part to make sure it ended well!! My hat is off to you Cher! Great job! Love the colors you found, that little bit of red accent really enriches the browns. So glad you won, despite it not being "your". No doubt the world is unfolding as it should..*VBS* Bless your giving heart!!

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger ForestJane said...

Congrats on winning it, it'll be a lovely gift! Just think - if it were your colors, would you have been able to part with it?

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful. As an aspiring quilter, I stand in awe of such a beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing this gorgeous quilt.

Nancy

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Quilts And Pieces said...

I think you did wonderful! And I LOVE it! It is MY colors! And I love the whole design!

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Hanne said...

The RR is a wonderful gift, and even if it is not your colours it is very well done :-)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Patti said...

I still think you are very lucky - even if those aren't your colors! That is one of the nicest round robin medallions I've ever seen. Your row compliments the rest of the top beautifully. I especially like the touches of blue and red you put in the square in a square blocks - the top really needed that. It was looking WAY too green up until that time. How great that the last person quilted and bound it! What a wonderful gift for your friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home