Tuesday, February 06, 2007

something to show


This photo shows about 30 hours of cutting, plus some sorting. I did not include the large bag of strings-which is the same size as the one shown which holds 2 inch strips. It's overflowing as I tucked in a few more after the last bout of cutting. Now that I have a photo I can put all these scraps away-still need to find proper containers for them as for now I will put them back into labeled bags and into one container. The other bagged fabric is the leftovers from my Christmas row robin quilt. It will go into the Christmas fabric stash-another goal of mine to bust this year.
All this cutting and not a specific pattern planned for any of it, other than they all fit within Bonnie's suggested sizes. I added a few more sizes but may recut those or just use them up in crumb blocks. The smallest squares are 1 1/2 inch - for that postage stamp quilt on my one day to do list! I discovered another large-ish container of scraps I thought had been dumped in the large bin, now empty-so there is plenty more cutting up time ahead of me before I get to the end of my collection of scraps. You will note-a fairly cleared off sewing top- I even scrubbed it and look forward to stitching a binding on a quilt next, then it's quilting mode for me. I have to adjust my lift and use my new insert and then, my newest machine the 6600 Janome should be a much more comfortable height to quilt with. Each morning I am spending at least 15 minutes doing something quilty- this is it for this morning...though I may find some time tonight. My quilt til you wilt for Saturday night has been cancelled. Looks like I will just have to do a personal at home one instead. If you are not busy - feel free to join me-I am going to start after supper and go until midnight. I have a wonderful ufo waiting for that night!

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Nice work, I need to slice scraps, too. I also need to really dust and vac the sewing room....but I've got several projects underway and don't want to get behind. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Patti said...

What a great collection of scraps! How did you ever get so much done? ;-)

I'll be with you there on Saturday - but probably not until midnight. On the other hand I hope to start in the morning and not stop all day. That is unless baby Sophie decides to finally arrive. Poor Chelsea - she's been having contractions for a week and a half and is 80% effaced as of last Thursday, but so far the contractions still haven't settled into any kind of productive pattern.

Don't forget CCQ on Thursday. It's the unveiling of the challenge for the year so it should be a fun program.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

All that cutting and sorting! I am amazed that you can stick at it that long without starting to sew them together.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Looks like you're ready for lots of good ole scrappy sewing, Cher! You'll be so glad you've got everything in order.

Your date for Saturday night sounds like fun. I'll keep that in mind!

On the news last night...the weatherman said that we are supposed to be getting some warmer Pacific air. I told hubby "That's from Cher! I told her to send some this way!!!" ;-) Thanks!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I love cutting up scraps. It is the perfect thing to do while watching your favorite new show on DVD! :)

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

I've been trying to cut my scraps down as I go but somehow I found myself a few weeks ago with a box full that had not been cut down. I've worked on them a few minutes each morning for the last few weeks and have finally finished. Well except for the ones from the quilt I'm currently working on. I've promised myself as soon as the last stitches are in the top and it's matching pillowcase is made I'll cut my binding and then the rest gets cut into strips and squares. NONE of this is going back into my stash!

I'll join you on Saturday. I'll probably be playing catch-up on the new hour-a-day project cause I have other things I need to finish this week before I can start it.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Darlene said...

Oh, I want to come sew with you! I'll be with you in spirit! :-)

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

That sure is alot of cutting - I would say you need a new rotary blade! How fun it will be to start a scrap quilt and have this part finished! Great job. I hope I get a chance to sew a bit with you on Saturday!!!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Ali Honey said...

I'm like Nancy and try and cut scraps after each project. ( I use zip lock plastic bags labelled with the size strips or squares)I don't know how you did such a long cutting session; but hey now you can spring into sewing action straight off. Good for you!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Hi! I also have been cutting alot of fabric into sizes that Bonnie mentioned. . . my 1 1/2" squares are being used to make a "mattress" for my dog. . . I thought I was nuts to cut pieces that small. . .but I see that I am not alone.

I have several UFO's currently in the works. . .so my cutting will have to be confined to the fabric that is hanging loose -- not in containers -- and I think I have that amount down to just one snack table (of course, the pile is close to 30" tall!!).

Keep up the good work. . .I look forward to seeing how your Quilt til you Wilt evening goes.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

Now that just makes me tired seeing all those scraps cut so neatly! WTG. I did that a long time ago and then donated a whole tub full to a friend. Now my scraps are in plastic drawers and don't look half so neat!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I admire your ability to cut without a plan for a specific quilt - doesn't work for me although I do try to cut more than one quilt at a time when I'm working on something scrappy.

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Nice job on cutting scraps. My scrap basket is getting full so I need to spend some time cutting too. I can't join you on Saturday night. DH and I are going to a friend's house and get a lesson in couples massage.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Cher, what a great pile of scraps cut! Hard to believe how long it takes, isn't it?
I've been cutting some(not as many as I'd like, but a start) for the hour glasses, and a couple of other projects at the same time.

I'll try and join you on Saturday night..I'm usually recliner bound by that time, but I'll give it the old college try! *VBS* Hugs, Finn

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Oh, I wish my scraps were cut and neatly stacked like yours! What wonderful quilts they will make.
Thanks, also, for following May Britt's link to my blog. :-)

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

Hmm - I think when you said you were going to "...adjust my lift and use my new insert..." it sounds more like you're getting a new bra than something to do with a sewing machine.

*giggling*

Nice cutting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home