Wednesday, March 28, 2007

return from retreat...


Here is what my iris painting may grow up to look like:

when I get done with my two jigsaw puzzle quilts and spend some time finishing up this idea.

This class was taught by Melanie Chang who is a member of my MPS guild-a wonderful artist and able to help a totally inept non-art person with a brush paint. It was great to learn new things and I look forward to playing around with paints more in my future...at some point. I have a good start and will add a bit more paint to mine perhaps. The circle you see around it is the tracing line we used to guild us-it will be the cutting line plus around the top of the flowers. The real drawback to fabric painting is once it's on the fabric..you pretty much have to work around any oops you make. I doubt I will paint any more real life objects-rather I am drawn to the abstract-so that I will look forward to playing with more..I came back from retreat pretty exhausted due to staying up all Saturday night-and then on top of it, I became ill at work on Monday afternoon. I stayed home Tuesday and took it easy by stitching the fifth row blocks together after putting my sewing room back in working order. I am reading blogs as I find some time...enjoying discovering a few new ones and wish I could devote much more time to quilting and related subjects. I am so far away from retirement, it's just not something to write about.
Ok...I still have not upgraded my photo skills, so you will find my iris at the top of this post and Melanie's down at the end...I simply do not have the time nor desire at this point to make it prettier. I already have another post in mind to do-plus want to follow up on showing my sewing / stash as suggested. my oldest ufo? yes, that too perhaps.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Your iris is beautiful! Looks like you took to painting on fabric very well. I'm still home feeling lousy - all I want to do is sleep, but when I lay down I can't seem to fall asleep. No strength to sew at all, unfortunately. So I'm trying to catch up on my blog reading, but just sitting at the computer makes me tired. I must be well by Saturday as Jeremy, Chelsea and Sophie are supposed to come for a visit!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

very pretty--soft colors. Was it fun doing this?

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Ali Honey said...

I like whay you have done. Very good for a 1st try I'd say.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Meredith said...

I like it. I do enjoy the imperfections of items made by hand. I saw your photos posted on the stashbusters site. I enjoyed the puzzle quilt photo.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Holly said...

The iris is pretty, Cher. I hope you are feeling better. That St. Patrick's picture of Alice is adorable!!

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Your iris is gorgeous, Cher!!!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Great painting! I took a class from Velda Newman a couple years back and did some painting techniques too. Isn't it fun to do something different? It expands the creative mind!

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This iris is really beautiful and I love the combination of the purples and greens. I'm afraid I can't draw stick figures well, so my painting projects involve a projector so I can make a pattern to follow. This has given me a "Van Gogh Irises" idea to try. Thanks!
Jan
www.QuiltingResourceCenter.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home