Saturday, February 24, 2007

and so it goes....

I know- no photos! however, progress is being made- I machine quilted what I felt needed on the diamond wall hanging and now I am handquilting the golden thread parts...two and a half diamonds done, several to go. I trimmed up the giant string quilt and had it bound by Sunday night. I went ufo treasure hunting in the hardest to reach corner of my sewing closet. I truly had forgotten some of the stuff in those baskets...I was looking for Christmas themed guild blocks I had won years ago-no luck finding them-maybe I stuck them with all the Christmas fabric in the fabric room (insert big sigh, getting to that corner will take an hour of shifting more stuff out of the way). So instead I decided to go through the ufos in the sewing room closet.
I did pull out some swap blocks from 1999 and with them, found "birthday" squares and siggie squares all bundled together. 1999 and 2000 I was on a quilting list that did some fun swaps-these were all from that list. I sorted through the blocks and realized I could come up with a design of combining the blocks and siggie squares. I needed one additional siggie square and Linda kindly agreed to pop one into the mail to me. The leftover blocks/siggie squares will go on the back and I can enjoy the final result. I also pulled the perfect fabric from stash to make the sashing around the siggie squares-cut and pinned a set -ready to stitch, even wound bobbins for this project too. However, after all that prep, I of course switched gears and since Sunday night I have been pressing all the scraps crammed into a small woven basket from the sewing room. I set the ironing board up in the living room and sat and pressed while we watched the Oscars etc. I just finished pressing the last of that fabric tonight. Saturday Patti and I are teaming up to have another cutting scraps day together. I promised I would not waste any time by having to press and by gosh, I have accomplished that goal. I found lots of leftover blocks and parts of blocks stuffed in there. It's going to be great fun when I have time to play with my scraps. I have another charity quilt pinned waiting to be quilted-that should go pretty fast. I managed to unearth my bin of cut and labeled scraps too. I bought a larger bin for them which I will need by the end of Saturday. That leaves one last tall container of scraps to be dealt with. I need to round up any stray bags stuffed with scraps as well. I am happy to see more floor emerging from these efforts. All in all, I have been off the computer more in favor of doing quilty things and I am pleased with my progress.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Wow - you HAVE been busy! I'm like you - getting more done because I've been staying off the computer more. That's why it took almost two weeks to catch up with my blog reading. I still have a bunch of scraps to press before Saturday - will be doing that on Friday night I guess since it's the only night I'll be home before Saturday. I sure got distracted by the hourglass blocks!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger swooze said...

I haven't started to think about scraps but will tell you I do look for opportunities to work in front of the tv. I have done the subcutting for my current top there and have been pinning there too. The time really adds up!

OK gonna tag you to confess how many UFOs you have and your oldest! If you don't know for sure a guess will be great! Hope you will tag someone else on the Stashbuster WEBRING after you are done!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

You did a lot done! Congratulations!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

sig square DID go out in Monday's mail as promised. Then will you show a pic? yeah, I'm whining, LOL.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Listening to your progress in organizing your scraps makes me think about doing the same. I have a growing pile on the floor of my sewing room that needs to be dealt with! I should just set the ironing board up in front of the TV and go to it!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hey Cher, sorry to be among the missing on reading blogs and emailing. I've been in a sewing frenzy. Love the gift bag you made for DA, I think she'll love it!

And you ARE ready for more scraps..LOL, can't way to see what they all become. Gotta sneak back and look at your new challenge and string quilt. Hugs, Finn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home