Wednesday, February 27, 2008

finished ufo - future uncertain


This is a top sent to me back in 2005. As I am determined to finish more ufos this year, I took it along to practice longarm quilting on. It's a finished size of about fifty three inches by fifty three inches. I actually had one of the green fabrics -a flower design with grey tones located top left of the center circle -plenty for the backing and binding. {photo will enlarge if you click on it} Many of these fabrics I had sent to my friend over the years-but, by no means all of them. She always had a unique eye for putting colors together in a scrap quilt. This one-I was ready to donate it and move it on out of the house, it is great from a distance, up close overpowering to my taste. My sweetie seems to think we should keep it. And, it sort of, kind of, is growing on me. However, I still think I want it to go wrap up a child -who would probably find it quite entertaining.
Guild night was fantastic fun! We had a potluck, so great eating and a silent auction where I won for two dollars a nice large stack of cut 5 inch charm squares. Everything else went too high for me. And, I won 10 heart blocks! Sweet. I already have an idea of what to make with them too.
Plus, the gal sitting next to me had a quilt she had made from the last batch of blocks she had won- so first I showed my ufo quilt of guild blocks won at the first block winning-and she showed the last guild blocks won in her quilt. This guild formed in 2000 and she wanted people to not allow those blocks to sit unloved and unused. I can't believe our guild is 8 years old already. I have been doing a bit of hand work but no real stitching. I hope to change that soon.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Patti said...

I'm with Marti - I would keep it. I think it's a great quilt put together beautifully. And this is coming from me your darks, dulls, and reproduction fanatic friend!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Carol E. said...

I think it's gorgeous!

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

whee, that would look so stunning up on a wall... so eye-catching. No matter what you decide to do with it, I'm sure this quilt will end up loved in a good home.

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

I think it is a stunner myself though I can also see why you think it is a little busy. All that color in one small quilt might not be to everyone tastes. I supposed you can enjoy it at home for a time and THEN donate it if you tire of it.

Hurray for winning another group of blocks. That looks similar to the pattern that we often use for memorial quilts. Easy to quilt in the ditch with plain alternating blocks too--zigzags on the back.

(I'm in quilting mode if you can't get me on IM)

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

It is GORGEOUS, Cher!!! WOW! It just radiates. Makes me want to start mine all over again...and follow your lead. (Nah...I won't...but those darn little voices are trying to tell me to start over....)

Sounded like a fun guild meeting. Winning is great, isn't it!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Holly said...

I would keep it because I think it is breath-taking but if it doesn't speak to you 100% then it will be loved by it's recipient.

Alice is looking so grown up! She's a doll.

I've been doing the some of the same - reading but not commenting on many blogs. There are so many to keep up with I figure if I touch base every once in a while, I'm doing good :)

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

This is so beautiful.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

That NYB is lovely...

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Emily Cole said...

Wow, I think it's a beautiful quilt top, nothing like I've seen before, and I love the colors! Very Rich! It would be great for you to keep it, but I'm sure some child would love it also, with all of the colors and geometric shapes. It's beautiful! Can you email me and tell me how to make my pictures have an enlargement option? I've not figured that out yet!

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

Wow, that NY Beauties is amazing! Not my usual sort of thing either, but this is stunning.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I love it!Congrats on winning the blocks. What are you going to do with the nickel squares? Is there a patience corner quilt in your future? LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home