Saturday, November 22, 2008

the half way mark

I just hit the half way mark on quilting the queen size D9P top. I chose to do straight line quilting and that means it goes fairly fast. I don't have to mark anything, I just sew along the seam lines about 1/8 to 1/4 inch away. A simple grid system and then on to the binding. I have that made and waiting to be stitched on. We are not supposed to give away our names in the giving of these gifts, so I am going to merely put my initials on the label and leave it at that. It's a quilt meant to be used up - not an heirloom and I hope they find warmth and comfort in the use of it.

Thursday I went up to a quilting/craft show and did a little shopping. There were bundles of Cherrywood hand dyes at one booth-but I left them there. Instead, I bought a hand dye kit for beginners. I have been wanting to try my hand at this dyeing business and this looked to be uncomplicated and very portable-not a huge investment either. I think I can set the small containers in my bathtub , thereby keeping everything I need in the bucket which is, 9 yards of fabric prepared for dyeing, the dyes and the small containers in this bucket, the size of a three pound laundry soap container. How's that for not taking up a lot of room?

We are selling tickets for the guild opportunity quilt at this show, so I am headed up there again today. There is a booth with large cutting mats at a decent price I may decide to buy. My table size mat needs replacing and this might be perfect- otherwise there isn't anything else to tempt me. I will be taking along my hand quilting-with several hours of sitting and encouraging folks to buy a chance at winning a truly gorgeous quilt-I just may get to the end of the K is for Kindness.


Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

The hand-dying sounds like fun - hope you enjoy it. And hope you get lots of tickets sold and quilting done!

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Twisted Quilts said...

I just finished machine quilting a D9P crib quilt and I used a grid too. I was so surprised at the wonderful effect when I finished. I wasn't that crazy about the quilt but the grid pattern really made it look much better.
I am not ready to attempt hand dying yet.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

May I just warn you: Dyeing can be an addiction!!! lol Enjoy, Cher!

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Clare said...

I've got hand dyeing on my list of things to try very soon.

Looking forward to reading what you get up to.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I so di dnot need the link for Cherrywood. You see my dogwood quilt(s) recentlty became quilt. I now need a bundle of cherrywood yellows - to go with the pinks & greens...

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hey Cher, the hand dying is fun. I've taken a couple of little workshop type classes, where there were just a few gals in each one, so very 'hands on'. I do recommend you get and use the disposable paint masks, though, while you mix dyes, if you are using powder dye. It's incredible finely ground and easy to inhale. Beyond that, have fun with it. And try some 'overdying' of fabric that is already colored, but maybe has a bit too much light in it. That's fun too. Hugs, Finn

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Dyeing is fun!

I did it some time back in IL with my quilt group--about 6 to 8 of us. Each grabbed a bucket and started the hand agitation and were doing gradations of color. Once done we split up the yardage between the participants. The girl who hosted us had a great set up for working on this outside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home