Sunday, November 02, 2008

November kick off quilt

you can click to enlarge

this is 12 blocks measuring 87 inches across and about 30 inches long right now(6 by 2). I have another 30 blocks to get to the size of 87 by 101-ish -queen size-ish. This will be for the adopted family we do gifts for every Christmas instead of exchanging gifts on M's side of the family. We drew the mom and dad this year and I knew immediately I wanted to make them a quilt. This is my variation of the disappearing nine patch block-limited to three colors. I am pleased it is all from my stash-there is enough of the vine fabric to make the backing and binding, should I chose. I bought this fabric many years ago and still really like it, I think because green and purple are a favorite combination currently for me. I thought I would get further than this considering I spent much of the day and evening working on it. However, the flannel (that would be the purple) has a way of stretching that has meant a bit of ripping and re-doing to get it to play nice with the other fabrics.
And, I have to stop and cut more fabric as I run out of pieces to stitch up. The disappearing nine patch block calls for making a nine patch and then cutting it into fourths-and stitching the fourths all back together. This takes longer to make the block too, as I play with the fourths and get them arranged to my liking. When I ran out of bobbin thread, I took the time not only to wind another four bobbins,( I had only used about a bobbin and a half before running out) but to thoroughly clean out around the bobbin area and add a drop of oil to the trace. That, and putting a new blade in my rotary cutter has made the cutting and stitching efforts go smoothly.
I am pleased with how it is looking. I will be quilting this on my regular sewing machine. I have a few ideas already for how I want to quilt it. I am considering quilting it in fourths and then putting them together ala quilt as you go method. It's been quite a while since I quilted such a large quilt and smaller sections might be a lot easier to deal with. The second quilt I am going to make will be simpler than this one and smaller thank goodness.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger Twisted Quilts said...

I have gone absolutely nuts over the disappearing nine patch. I made one top for my daughter in law to give a friend and I am working on another one. The way you put yours together is really interesting. I think I am going to machine quilt in a diagonal cross hatch. I love green and purple,too. why does it look so good together.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger jovaliquilts said...

I love the idea of adopting a family to give gifts to! My siblings and I often donate to each other's designated charities, but I really like your idea. And a quilt -- what a wonderful gift for Mom and Dad!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

LOVE the way you are putting together your D9P! The Mom & Dad you give it to~ are going to love it! Such a thoughtful and kind gift :)

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Magpie Sue said...

That's going to be a beauty. Lucky Mom & Dad!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Good start on the Christmas gift quilt, Cher! I would never have guessed that it was a D9P as the blocks are so well hidden with the three color, I guess.

Zipping those blocks right along now that the machine is prepped and new cutter blade is easing THAT job.

Keep up the good work!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Gari in AL said...

I, too, love the D9P. I have done two, one primarily orange and the one I just finished in Christmas colors. I will be putting the last on one my blog tomorrow: need to take the picture in the daylight. I really like your colors as they are very different from anything I would have thought of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home