Monday, January 19, 2009

2008 leftovers


while I work on a new 2009 project (from a 2008 challenge) I finished up what I call Leftovers, a 15 inch by 15.5 inch small quilt. I used the same color perle cotton thread to hand quilt it -pieced from the leftover scraps bag from the two bed size jigsaw puzzle quilts I made a few years ago now, I also used these scraps in the K is 4 kindness wall hanging as well. And, there is still lots more left to play with and create new quilts or small art pieces.

It needs a label-the backing is the same fabric as the binding and too dark for any of the marking pens I have to write directly on the fabric and be legible. No sleeve until I decide on orientation or I may add two sleeves -one for hanging the way it looks in this photo, and the another as square.

I often keep leftover scraps from a favorite project in a bag of their own. I especially like how I used a checkered fabric to end up with a mini "four patch" square. I was too lazy to miter the border-I really need to prod myself and do that technique.

Other than this small finish, I have been immersed in - cleaning and rearranging parts of our home and making soup for my hosting on Tuesday night of my guild quilt show committee.

We went over Saturday night and had a game night with my son and his wife. He is an excellent game host. We learned a few new fun games and were treated to fresh from the oven warm oatmeal raisin cookies as a delightful food treat.

Yesterday Alice was dropped off while the kids went over and bought a new fridge-very similar to ours. It was close to supper time, so I made Alice's favorite "moodles" and lattes for M and I.

I bought Alice new "toddler" friendly metal silverware and taught her how to hold and use a fork so it actually pokes and holds a noodle all the way to her mouth. We had a delightful time practicing that until she could do a whole dish full by herself. I have a very small special dish just for Alice with a smiling sun and smiling octopus painted on the bottom-motivation to eat it all up to see them. Her parents arrived just as she was finishing her third bowl full and we all gave her lots of applause for handling a fork so expertly. I had cooked up penne pasta and cut the noodles in half so they were toddler size friendly. I love my new kitchen shears. A simple red sauce over the noodles and supper is ready in a flash.
There is nothing like a two year old for reminding you of simple joys.

It was a another wonderful weekend of balance-some practical stuff, some play stuff, and family time too.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

lol I love Alice's *moodles.* Instead of macaroni...my son would call them *moni.* ;-) Cute!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger swooze said...

Your quilt is adorable. Nice job! Mitering is easy. Just try ;).

Alice sounds so cute. I remember those days. Now my kids want to do silly things like learn how to drive a car!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Twisted Quilts said...

Love your "leftover" quilt, great colors. Yes two year olds can remind you of the important things in life. All you can do is enjoy them.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

I love the orientation...a lot. Why don't we all do that more often? So, the optional sleeve is a great idea! Mitered corners? Neither the pioneers nor the Amish bothered, so I'm like...maybe/maybe not;) And...you beat me to signing up for Gwen and Freddy classes. I had a mailing error that set me back without my realizing it. We shall see what happens!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

A very sweet quilt to remind you of the bigger quilts you have made. I really like your hand quilting on these projects! :)

What fun for you to *help* teach Alice how to use the fork and 'moodles' are always good at any age :) IMO.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger jovaliquilts said...

What a lovely little quilt! I often keep scraps from quilts together, at least for awhile. I like your idea of making them into something to keep.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Neat little quilt! The colors are so bright and cheery. Just the ticket for a cold winters day, I would say. Looks neat set on point too. Is that how you will hang it?

Fun time with Ms. Alice, Nonna!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Two is such a FUN age! I know the saying - Terrible Two's, but Mom always said the Terrific Two's and she was right... I like child-sized EVERYTHING for my son - I even hang his mirror lower for him, he has a raised stool for the table, his own silverware, etc. Those children plates ARE fun! When I was little I had a hot chocolate cup with a teddy bear in the bottom. Often times it is little things that kids will remember - like the fact that you took the time to snip the noodles in two! I like your left-overs hanging too.
Cheers! Evelyn

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Cher, *VBS*, I absolutely LOVE your Leftovers! Each piece of fabric seems to work perfectly with every other piece. It's a rare moment when that happens, especially with leftover scraps. And your utility quilting is gorgeous! I clicked to enlarge(mostly to see the fabrics) and was struck immediately by the stitching. Very playful and happy, and doing it's job perfectly!! You've defintitely GOT IT babe!!!
Love the tale of Alice and Magic Fork. Stay well, hugs, Finn

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Cher, it's Saturday and I'm popping in to say I've nominated you for a special award. Please stop by my blog and check it out. Big hugs, Finn

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Dave Schipper said...

wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home