Sunday, December 21, 2008

a great day to be inside



Here in Portland, OR we think this is the most snow we have ever seen in our neighborhood.
Lots of wind blew snow in against our front door as fast as we could shovel it away yesterday.
I did a final shovel out last night before heading to bed. This morning you can see little new snow out front, what is hard to see is the one inch layer of ice over the snow. Zoe in the backyard demos walking on top of snow...you can see the dents where she "fell" through. M had to stomp down enough of an area in the back so Zoe could do her business. No driving without chains today-period. As I don't have chains that means another day of not driving anywhere for me. I am not inclined to drive anywhere so no big deal. I stopped Friday night after work and stocked up at the market on various items I thought we could run low on and would miss. We are snug and happy inside - I am going to start quilting a top for Alice, part of her Christmas celebration. I had bought a kit and stitched it up yesterday. I have Christmas music going and have wrapped a few gifts, still need to write cards up, and in general we are enjoying the weekend.
We are grateful for our cars dry in the garage
a snow shovel that does the job!
warm snow clothes to wear
our power is on
hot coffee

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger jovaliquilts said...

Just saw Portland on the weather channel -- not your typical winter! Stay warm!

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

like I told Ryan...I am pea green with envy and yet at the same time...VERY HAPPY THAT IS HAPPENING AT YOUR HOUSE AND NOT MINE...

Zoe looks pretty leary of the snow...I bet she was happy when it was powder and no ice.

happy day-inside-to-be-warm-and-quilty

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Looks like the snow is from coast to coast! Glad you picked up those needed items at the market and can stay warm inside :)

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Twisted Quilts said...

It is beautiful but I am glad it is you and not us. We haven't had snow in several years. Sounds like you had a great weekend staying in.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Gari in AL said...

I was born and raised in Portland: dragged kicking and screaming when I was 16. When I was in grade school we had snow: roads closed, schools closed and sledding on every slope in the city. It was wonderful, then. Now I am in AL and very happy to see snow on TV and in pictures.

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Ali Honey said...

So glad you have coffee...(lol)
keep warm but enjoy the view of the snow.
"Season's Greetings."

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Merry Christmas, Cher! I've never known it to snow this many consecutive days in all the time I've lived in Oregon. I'm just glad I don't have to go anywhere. We cleared an area for our dog also but she is such a wimp -- we have yellow snow on our deck. Ah well :) Can't say as I blame her. Have a wonderful week.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

What a mess! Fortunately this kind of weather does not happen often.

Chains were outlawed in IL at least where we lived so they salt the heck out of the road---which doesn't do your cars finish much favors.

Hope this doesn't keep you from celebrating the holiday with your family, Cher.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

glad you didn't have to go anywhere and could stay inside nice and safe and having fun. brrrrrr.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Going thru the same thing. I have been house bound till today, Yum yum is in 7th heaven. He can play in the snow now, the ice stuff was murder on the the body. I got a cut from the ice coat we had, while shoveling. Not to bad on missing work, turned out to be just 1 day, The rest I was off :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home