Wednesday, January 07, 2009

all about kindness





I have been on the run lately and spending little time at home, less on the computer. This morning I uploaded kindness photos.

I was going to put up photos of how I do my sleeves on the back of my quilts for hanging. This does show a finished sleeve tube -the trick is to pick a width that gives you either the measurement required by the quilt show it's being shown in and/or a width that will allow whatever holder you want to put through to hang it by. I forgot to measure and made an overlong sleeve. No problem, I cut it off and just stitched a new end -I turn the ends under twice stitching down by machine as a tube. I chose to not stitch the sleeve at the top so it would be part of the binding stitching by machine part. That came about because I failed to make my
sleeve wide enough and it would not work out. After getting this sleeve on, I decided next time I am returning to my habit of putting on the sleeve after the binding-I just get it on more evenly when I have the binding done first. This sleeve is probably too narrow for the quilt show it's going in later this Spring-so I probably will stitch another sleeve over this one-d'oh! However, a four inch sleeve just seems an absurd proportion on this small-ish wall hanging and I would not want that large of sleeve personally.

Also a photo of my label where I used a rejected K letter. The hunt for that letter took an hour-as I had taken everything off the design wall at some point and stacked them in different groups in different places. I was determined to find it and use -and clearly I was successful.

Then, a nice close up and a less close up-I placed it over the chair I use most for sitting in during the evening and doing handwork. There is a standing ott light to the side of this chair - I can all the light I need exactly where I am working. Thus concludes my Summer Class project.

The house etc class project has yielded another house block - I will show a photo of that another day.

We are back to rain around here and it is so much easier to drive in than ice and snow!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Twisted Quilts said...

What a wonderful quilt and thought. I have stalled on my house blocks.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love all the brights in your Kindness Quilt and your quilting is spectacular! Great Job!

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turned out great! Terrific project for a completed UFO, and a first finish for '09!!

I like the way you describe putting the hanging sleeve on, including it in the binding sewing. I will have to give that a try next time I need to attach a sleeve. Thanks for the tip!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com
mycreativemind@pamgwillim.com

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

It's wonderful, Cher. Congrats on the finish. I hate doing the sleeve - and having to do it again? bleah. fingers crossed for sun!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Woohoo! It's all finished and onto the next project. I think it is one that you cannot discuss much?

I'll look a little closer at the sleeve instructions when I have to do another one---know right where to turn.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Magpie Sue said...

Hope your feet are still dry!

I know what you mean about the sleeve width. It has to be wide for a show but that does sometimes seem ridiculous on a small quilt. I kept putting those big sleeves on my little quilts until I finally decided that I wasn't going to enter them in quilt shows anymore...

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger jovaliquilts said...

Cher, it's just great! I love how you did the background, so bright and cheery. Great way to start your word for the year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home