Sunday, November 30, 2008

family time and quilting time



In and around family holiday time, Alice time, and into the weekend-quilting has been going on.
I am in the binding stage of the queen size quilt (the hand part, one side done) and the machine binding of a ufo that will be donated to wraptheminlove. Of course, when Alice spends the night, photo opportunities abound. I was pinning a doll size quilt top when Alice wandered in and decided to help me. We were still in our jammies, being a very relaxed morning of playing and so on.
As she concentrated on picking out pins and sticking them in (a cluster in one corner) it was the perfect photo opt. One day I hope when she is much, much older she can claim she started quilting at two! In the meanwhile we will keep taking baby steps towards that goal. She is ready for the large yarn (dull point) needles, yarn and pu
nched cards or canvas to play with next I believe-as she was quite entranced with watching me stitch binding. My love of hand crafts was encouraged by my grandma (on my moms side) teaching me to knit and crochet at an early age. She did not sew , nor did my other nonna. My mother could sew but was not inspired to do any beyond a dress she made for me and something for my sister. I took over her machine as soon as I learned how to run one in home ec class and used it to death until graduating from high school.
all photos will enlarge by clicking... note Zoe close by supervising Alice-by the time Alice goes home, Zoe is exhausted! While Alice naps, Zoe will frequently check the closed door-looking at me as though to ask, are you sure she's ok? I hate not being able to go check up close!

Ok- back to all that binding! The queen quilt needs mailing out on Wednesday and I only have one side done thus far. I also promised myself to have the charity quilt done before midnight tonight. It's a ufo and I want a November finish. If I stay away from the computer-it's an easy task to complete.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

That corner that Alice is working is definitely not going to shift on you during quilting! LOL Alice is lucky to have a grandma willing to spend time showing her how to quilt!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Look at the concentration on her face. She's going to love quilting.

What a beautiful little girl.

Darilyn

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

what a cutie pie and great pics! that is soo marvelous she's already interested in needlework and handcrafts - wonderful for both of you.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Clare said...

A budding quilter if ever I saw one. She's even got the concentration sussed!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger jovaliquilts said...

Alice is such a cutie!! It's great she's getting interested at such a young age. What fun for you!

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAIW is a girl after my own heart...jammie days rule!!

Pam
@www.pamgwillim.com
mycreativemind@pamgwillim.com

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Rosalyn Manesse said...

what a darling child

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Such a look of concentration on her little face. How wonderful that you have your precious little girl living so close to you so you have watch her grow and learn. You are blessed.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Alice looks like she will be an awesome quilter one day.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger swooze said...

I had to go search your blog for a better pic of Zoe. She is gorgeous. I have a "baby" sitting dog. Whenever my kids have friends over he is right there watching and making sure everything is ok. Kind of neat. Sorry I have been missing you on Yahoo and hope you are well! HUGS!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Lisa Call said...

She's adorable!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Hi Cher, your quilts are looking lovely! I wanted to say thanks for referring me to Common Thread, I finally got my Bernina fixed there and I am much happier!

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Magpie Sue said...

I've been away from the internet to get things done too... I was disappointed when my 3 1/2 year old grand daughter wasn't interested in the sewing cards I brought out for her. Oh well; maybe later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home