Saturday, February 14, 2009

knitting

Happy Valentine's Day and Happy 150 years Birthday Oregon.

Yesterday I had a bonus day off-so I was home to some house related work we scheduled and once they were gone-I left on my own adventures. A bit of this and that to get done on a week day being so much easier than on the weekend. I swung by the yarn shop where I have signed up for a beginning class in socks. I was given dpn (double pointed needles) per my book of instructions, and proceeded to cast on and began knitting a gauge swatch-a friend the night before at guild meeting (quilt) who is an experienced knitter had agreed with me I should try knitting with my cast on and see how it went. So, I spent 2 hours at the yarn shop entertaining knitters as I struggled with using the dpn's and knitting, ripping out, re-casting on, and knitting some more.
I tell you, it was possible but pretty darn hard work! I will knit some more tomorrow as I need to keep at it and see if I can get gauge - the first big step in truly starting any knitting project I am told.

Now, I have knitted 4 sweaters and many, many scarfs...and one bag is partly done-but socks? Yes, I caught sock fever from many fellow bloggers that have made truly amazing, wonderful, fabulous socks. And, not having anyone in my family alive anymore that knows how to knit-well, I figure it must be time to truly learn if I want a pair of my own.

You get the scope of my determination-willing to knit with a cast as a handicap rather than delay until -who- knows -when this class may be offered again.

The gal that runs the shop promised not to tell the teacher-she sounded pretty gleeful about the possible look of ??? on this teachers face.
I think she mentioned something about a heart attack...but, I figure at least I chose matching yarn color to my cast and it won't be so noticable -and I am doing pre-class knitting, so she may decide to let me stay.

All of this knitting trial run was brought on by being told the date of my cast coming off is March 10th-after both of my knitting class dates.

And, I graduate to wearing a splint for another 2 weeks-sheesh! plus I get to do exercises...oh, let's imagine finger exercises, hand exercises, and probably wrist strengthening work outs too :-) gee, I can hardly wait.

Truly though, I appreciate my finger is healing well and the x-ray shows no arthritis in this hand-what bonus news!

I still have not tried sewing yet, the knitting adventure was pretty tiring and my cast hand was pretty unhappy that evening-so some resting before more adventures are tried.

Time to go spend quality Valentine time with my sweetheart.

24 days until cast removal day!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger Rosalyn Manesse said...

I'm sure that you will find knitting much easier after the cast is taken off! I've been knitting socks for years, I can suggest that you just make a swatch for the gauge on two needles, and measure that first. If it comes out OK on the two needles, you can go ahead confidently on the four. I always use a set of 2 needles the same size as the four needles. I cast on on those, and then I transfer the stitches to the three needles.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

lol You made me giggle, Cher! Glad you're a good sport about their "poking fun" at you!

A class sounds like a great way to celebrate healthy limbs...and bring in Spring. (It is coming, isn't it?!)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Magpie Sue said...

I understand about wanting to be as self-sufficient as possible (or having to be!), but you really need to be careful not to try too much too soon. Especially when you "graduate" to the splint. Glad to hear there's no sign of arthritis; this IS good news!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Happy knitting for you! I didn't you'd be able to sit still and do nothing until the cast came off.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Now that is determination! But good to know if you can do it before the class is actually ready to start--get a refund or store credit if it wasn't happening. Good for you!

I love to knit but doubt I will succumb to making socks. I lean more to aran sweaters that I can't wear versus something for my feet, LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home