Saturday, June 29, 2013

Alice's 7th birthday quilt

Sorry, not the greatest photo..but..my camera battery went dead later when I tried to take another photo with Alice and her quilt. Good thing I snapped this before wrapping it up for the gift giving later on.  

  I made this back in 2007 at a quilt retreat in Grants Pass Oregon.  I had it pinned ready to quilt with binding made, waiting for Alice to grow older and become a "pink" girl.  This birthday was the perfect occasion to give her the quilt.  Not only did she love it, but, it will go on her new bed that she is getting as she moves into a new, larger size bedroom.  Her mom said it looks both old-fashioned and yet modern at the same time and also loved it.  I used string blocks on the smaller scale with all the leftover strips from the original quilt I made for Alice's aunt Miranda.    here is another link from when I finished this top 

I have cleaned up the sewing table and will pull out Max cloth books to finish up next.  I made a start and ran into a few challenges due to not trimming the fusible batting correctly.  I also want to cut up muslin foundation squares and make new string blocks.  Those will become leader/enders while I work on stuff for Max or whatever else I decide to add to the work on now stack.

I hope to get over to Alice's house this weekend and get some photos with her and her new quilt.  Have to check with how they are progressing on the clean out/purge, move and set up the new furniture in the new bedroom.  I am off for now to have a tea lunch with a friend and then call my son and see how it is going.

A great kickoff to the weekend!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Hooray for a finish and I guess our talk the other morning led to figuring out how old the quilt was, ball park anyway, LOL. But it is done now and just at the right time for DGD and her mom to enjoy it in the new to her digs.

I hope you are able to get a picture of it on her new bedroom with her in it. (Big girl room)

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice. No wonder they like it! Alternating the direction of the strips was a great move.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

Wonderful quilt and project! Old fashioned and modern at the same time. Indeed! Pure liberation inspiration even back then!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Happy Birthday, Alice!

I love the quilt, Cher!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home